M1 Garand Relative Value Question

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
TnBuckeye

M1 Garand Relative Value Question

Post by TnBuckeye »

I am looking at an early IHC M1 with an IHC bolt and SA 52 barrel. It has British proofs on the receiver.

I am interested in opinions on the relative value of it compared to a CMP IHC M1 in comparable condition. For example, would a British proofed rifle in comparable condition be valued about the same, or more, or less? If more or less, significantly so?

I am not seeing much on sold items on gun-poker to really compare to.

Again, I am not looking for an exact $ value as I know that is impossible without lots of good photos. Just some directional information like “it would be about 20% less than a comparable CMP...” or etc.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
steelbuttplate

Re: M1 Garand Relative Value Question

Post by steelbuttplate »

TnBuckeye wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:56 am I am looking at an early IHC M1 with an IHC bolt and SA 52 barrel. It has British proofs on the receiver.

I am interested in opinions on the relative value of it compared to a CMP IHC M1 in comparable condition. For example, would a British proofed rifle in comparable condition be valued about the same, or more, or less? If more or less, significantly so?

I am not seeing much on sold items on gun-poker to really compare to.

Again, I am not looking for an exact $ value as I know that is impossible without lots of good photos. Just some directional information like “it would be about 20% less than a comparable CMP...” or etc.

Thanks!

If I saw one 20% under CMP I'd buy it. It will be worth 20% more than CMP value in your hands. :2cents:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

Thanks. This helps. I had literally no idea whatsoever.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

British proofs would only add to the history of the rifle, IHC is not common no matter who used it. I don't recall us having to arm UK forces during Korea, there were at least a hundred thousand British troops who fought there. I guess we armed some of them. Cool find.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:British proofs would only add to the history of the rifle, IHC is not common no matter who used it. I don't recall us having to arm UK forces during Korea, there were at least a hundred thousand British troops who fought there. I guess we armed some of them. Cool find.
Thanks! But it is not in hand yet. You guys are giving me helpful direction however.

I have been looking around for the “right” IHC M1 for a little while, and I could just run down the road to Anniston or Talladega if I get desperate enough, but that takes some of the fun out of beating the bushes.

goda 61

Post by goda 61 »

IHC didn't start production until 1953, so the truce was in place before any IHC M1s would have made it to Korea for combat use. While IHC needed help from SA and H&R to get their production going, a correct IHC barrel would be a LMR, which were very high quality barrels. The SA barrel would not be correct. CMP does not price rifles based upon the correct parts, just the condition. From an IHC collector value standpoint, not having an LMR barrel would detract value, IMO. If this rifle is not a CMP, be very careful looking it over to make sure the receiver was never welded, and be sure and check headspace before you fire it if you do buy it. If you get a nice shooter, great. Just be careful.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

IHC's do command a premium. I have a couple of dealers who know I have a CMP IHC and they've both offered $2,000.00 trade value. I'd say real world I could get $1,500.00 to $1,600.00. I've never seen a Garand around here bring less than a grand unless it was a turd with a garden stake barrel. I'd be shocked to see an IHC being a true "Lend Lease" since their productions was post World War 2.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

goda 61 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:24 pm IHC didn't start production until 1953, so the truce was in place before any IHC M1s would have made it to Korea for combat use. While IHC needed help from SA and H&R to get their production going, a correct IHC barrel would be a LMR, which were very high quality barrels. The SA barrel would not be correct. CMP does not price rifles based upon the correct parts, just the condition. From an IHC collector value standpoint, not having an LMR barrel would detract value, IMO. If this rifle is not a CMP, be very careful looking it over to make sure the receiver was never welded, and be sure and check headspace before you fire it if you do buy it. If you get a nice shooter, great. Just be careful.
CMP uses whatever parts are on hand to make a complete, safe rifle. Anything beyond that is an extra bonus.
GColloton

Post by GColloton »

Hi. I just had a Garand on order from the CMP. It was for a service grade most likely Springfield $750.00. I got an email that I could upgrade ($330) to a service grade IHC. I declined because I was hoping to get something earlier than the IHC years, preferably WW2 era. So that puts a mixed part IHC receiver Garand at $1080.00. After I declined I received an offer for a Winchester Service Grade upgrade ($200), and I couldn’t say yes fast enough. It’s mostly Springfield parts including trigger assembly, barrel, bolt, and op rod. Actually, it’s all Springfield parts. I did find a milled Winchester trigger guard online that I’m waiting on.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

My M1 is a World War II Springfield with what appears to be all Springfield parts and a beater stock. Paid $850 locally for it and could put a nicer stock on it, but then I'd take it out less. It probably hadn't been shot since its military service when I bought it. The dealer said he got it from a local who'd bought it and put it in the safe. It still had the price tag from the hardware store on it when I got it.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

goda 61 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:24 pm IHC didn't start production until 1953, so the truce was in place before any IHC M1s would have made it to Korea for combat use. While IHC needed help from SA and H&R to get their production going, a correct IHC barrel would be a LMR, which were very high quality barrels. The SA barrel would not be correct. CMP does not price rifles based upon the correct parts, just the condition. From an IHC collector value standpoint, not having an LMR barrel would detract value, IMO. If this rifle is not a CMP, be very careful looking it over to make sure the receiver was never welded, and be sure and check headspace before you fire it if you do buy it. If you get a nice shooter, great. Just be careful.
Thank you so much for using the term WELDED receiver. I bugs the ever living shit out me when people use the term re-weld as if implying the recieved was originally welded. Yeah I know a pity ass thing, but it does bug me.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

awalker1829 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:07 pm My M1 is a World War II Springfield with what appears to be all Springfield parts and a beater stock. Paid $850 locally for it and could put a nicer stock on it, but then I'd take it out less. It probably hadn't been shot since its military service when I bought it. The dealer said he got it from a local who'd bought it and put it in the safe. It still had the price tag from the hardware store on it when I got it.
Mine is a 43 Springfield with a 49 barrel and mostly Springfield parts. I know two parts, one on the sight and one on the trigger are Italian parts (Marked BMR and PB). My SA bolt has a very faint laser engraved SN on it, so I'm assuming Danish used.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member