Brown Bess Long Land MVTco

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Brown Bess Long Land MVTco

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I got this one from a reenactor a couple of years back, it's the Brown Bess Long Land pattern Musket as was commonly used during the American Revolution and the French & Indian war. It's lock is perfectly tuned, fires off every time, and will hold on a 2'x2' target at 100 yards with no trouble most of the time ( it is a smoothbore after all) These are a huge lot of fun to shoot, but they eat powder like it was free, I had to start bulk ordering powder after I acquired a few of these, and manufacturing the grape sized .75 round balls by the hundreds, in fact while I had nothing to do I ran off over 1000 of them over a few weekends.

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Re: Brown Bess Long Land MVTco

Post by desdem12 »

Nice stock on that one. 8-) 8-)
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Where is lots of powder there has to be lots of smoke. I especially like smoke poles and windless days. And a crowded range!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

80 grains of FFG Goex plus the prime load in the pan leaves it's own fog bank with each shot.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Surprised he did not have a "flash guard" on his pan (Unless you took it off). Mine was a Japanese copy of a second pattern long land musket. Lots of fun. My team won the Governor's Firelock matches in Fort Frederick MD years ago. Fort Freddie was originally a French & Indian period place in Western Maryland.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

He did send me a flash guard with the musket, just not installed. Most match shooters are required to use a flash guard to protect the shooter next to them, but maybe the rules are not the same for the living history guys. Flash guards were not used 200 years ago, and these guy's tend to be serious about how they play their characters. As I shoot on my own range with nobody next to me I don't worry about the guard.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

bunkysdad wrote:Where is lots of powder there has to be lots of smoke. I especially like smoke poles and windless days. And a crowded range!
Funny story A few years back we were shooting in a NRA Bullseye pistol match and one of the teams up wind of us loaded their pistols with 'black powder' cartridges during the timed fire stage. After the first shot we could not see the targets. Granted it was not funny at the time.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It might have been funny to the other guys, but that still ain't too cool when you are trying to shoot.