Old Troy-bilt

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
Cliff

Old Troy-bilt

Post by Cliff »

Been trying to get an old Troy-bilt horse model tiller going before spring. I got my little propane torch to heat the hook on a spring I was working on. It caught fire in my hand. After I got it put out I took a pair of pliers and tore it apart and trashed it.
Next I got out my map gas torch . The second time I fired it up it caught fire in my hand. The map gas was a lot harder to put out than the propane. No damage except dead grass and the hair on my arm . Since I had already practiced I knew where to throw the second torch. The little tiller has a later model 8 horse power Kohler electric start engine. Might get to gro a few tomatoes this year.
Cliff
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Old Troy-bilt

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I toss any propane torch heads into the brass scrap, the seals are always shriveled up or gone on these and they leak gas. This is one tool that I just buy new every few years.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

I'm going online and buy a new one. I'd like to find another Tubor Torch.
Cliff
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

There is probably nothing wrong with the torches except that the orifice has been plugged. Down here we have insects that will fill any size hole building their nests. I don't know what it is that nest in torch heads, but they do a great job of plugging them. The orifice hole may or may not be fixable in place, but most of them will unscrew with either a flat screwdriver or a hex key. Sometimes the holes are so tiny it is hard to find something to get in there and clean them out. Being an old gas mechanic, I have a full set of orifice bits made for the purpose.

Good luck, and I hope that the hair on the back of your hand grow back in quickly!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I have two propane torch heads that are at least 7 yeas old and work fine, I clean them out every time I change the bottle.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

With ours it's mostly the seals between bottle and head that start leaking, or the valve itself. When I need a torch I have the big one we cut steel with, but that isn't convenient to drag around the place for things like deicing padlocks. I cut steel for 40 years so unplugging torch tips is something I know a lot about
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt