Citrus returning to N. Florida

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
SA1911a1

Citrus returning to N. Florida

Post by SA1911a1 »

You know the citrus we send up North? Lemons the size of eggs? This is what we keep for ourselves. The lemon with the spoon is fully tree ripened and is good to eat unadorned. Calamondins are ripening and the tangerines are not far behind. These are grown in my yard in North Florida. A little more global warming and Avocadoes will be next. The citrus will produce until around July, and the wild Blueberries start in June and go to August, so I have some fruit going year round.

Up here, next to Georgia we used to grow peaches, but the winters no longer produce the sustained low temps needed for the fruit to produce. When I was a kid, the only citrus that would grow was Kumquats. My how times change.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
tomaustin

Re: Citrus returning to N. Florida

Post by tomaustin »

good on the fruit...

you bragging with the $50.........!!!
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

tomaustin wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:07 am good on the fruit...

you bragging with the $50.........!!!
Oh Hell, that is not mine, that is my wife's. She lets me fondle it then it goes back in her purse.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

hahaha.............
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

SA1911a1 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:55 am You know the citrus we send up North? Lemons the size of eggs? This is what we keep for ourselves. The lemon with the spoon is fully tree ripened and is good to eat unadorned. Calamondins are ripening and the tangerines are not far behind. These are grown in my yard in North Florida. A little more global warming and Avocadoes will be next. The citrus will produce until around July, and the wild Blueberries start in June and go to August, so I have some fruit going year round.

Up here, next to Georgia we used to grow peaches, but the winters no longer produce the sustained low temps needed for the fruit to produce. When I was a kid, the only citrus that would grow was Kumquats. My how times change.
I wish some Kumquats would flow up this way, haven't had one in 40 yrs.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I will give you two twenties ad a five for that 50 :biggrin:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

steelbuttplate wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:55 am
SA1911a1 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:55 am You know the citrus we send up North? Lemons the size of eggs? This is what we keep for ourselves. The lemon with the spoon is fully tree ripened and is good to eat unadorned. Calamondins are ripening and the tangerines are not far behind. These are grown in my yard in North Florida. A little more global warming and Avocadoes will be next. The citrus will produce until around July, and the wild Blueberries start in June and go to August, so I have some fruit going year round.

I wish some Kumquats would flow up this way, haven't had one in 40 yrs.
I don't have Kumquats, I wish I did. I haven't planted one because they are so pricey to buy. One of my good childhood memories is raiding the grouchy old man's tree next door to my house. I do have Calamondins which look somewhat like a Kumquat but don't have the sweetness. The Calamondins have the tartness of a lime with a unique flavor. I have high hopes for my Loquat tree this year, it is flowering like crazy, but the bees don't seem to be finding it so it may be a bust.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum