Help me identify my Mosin Nagant 91/30

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Marshall74

Help me identify my Mosin Nagant 91/30

Post by Marshall74 »

It has matching numbers on the stock, bolt, magazine, and barrel.

I believe it's a 91/30 izhevsk made in 1943.

I'm expecting the the PU scope and mount is fake. As the mount doesn't have the two convex sections.

Can some one please shed some light on it for me.

Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steelbuttplate

Re: Help me identify my Mosin Nagant 91/30

Post by steelbuttplate »

You got a nice rifle all matching, the scope looks real from what I can tell. The mounts I dunno. Century did sell some re-snipered rifles, you might have one.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

There should be a crossed out scope s/n on the left side of the receiver for an Izhevsk sniper. The stock cuts for the mount looks too sharp and too new to me also. I suspect that steelbuttplate is on to something about Century... Nice gun though but it's likely not an original sniper.
ddivinia

Post by ddivinia »

Congrats. I am going to pick up a Izhevsk Mosin Nagant 91/30 Sniper Rifle 1943 Matching Numbers from my local store today. It should be interesting. I’ll be back with questions.

D.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Give us a better photo of the left side of the barrel shank. Straight on.

Like this:
Tulsky_left_side_barrelreceiver.jpg

Also, the base (remove the scope mount). Base is under the scope mount.
samco_finished_t003.jpg

From what I see, It is very questionable.

Scope looks real. Not aftermarket.

Scope mount is aftermarket and not original.

Stock color and finish is wrong.

There are no scope numbers on the left side of the barrel shank. There should be or evidence of it being removed or altered.

The "proof marks on the barrel shank should be on the top of the shank on a sniper. this allows for the marking of the scope numbers on the left side. There are no "proof marks" on the top running over to the right side on this rifle.

The import marks run "under" the scope mount. That shouldn't be.

The "dot matrix" import marks were used by CIA in the later years. Not the early years. So, I don't think this is a Century early sniper rifle (which were just re-snipers anyway and not real). The dor matrix import marks came well after they were making "re-snipers".

This appears (without further photos I requested) is a "re-sniper" rifle and not original. Although, if I could see the left side of the barrel shank, I could confirm this or MAYBE reverse my opinion.

Is that the original color of the stock, or have you "played with" the photos a bit?

But only a "sniper expert" can say for sure. we have a couple here on the forums.

Darryl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.