Last Civil War Dependent Pensioner dies.......

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
ffuries

Last Civil War Dependent Pensioner dies.......

Post by ffuries »

The last surviving child of a Union Civil War soldier has passed away. As the child of a Union Veteran, she was entitled to receive a pension from the VA. I don't believe Confederate Veterans were entitled to a VA pension, but they were entitled to a State Pension.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/last-pe ... -last-week

Some interesting trivia.

"While Triplett has outlived all the spouses of Civil War veterans, it is not by as long a period as one might think. The last Confederate widow, Maudie Hopkins died on Aug. 1, 2008, at age 93. The last Union widow, Gertrude Janeway, died Jan. 17, 2003, also at age 93. The last Civil War veterans themselves, both Union and Confederate, died in the 1950s. Both men were more than 100 years old."

In my hour long Google search, I couldn't find any mention of living Confederate dependents still receiving State Pensions.

Here's an interesting article from some years ago on the then surviving Civil War Veterans children.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nation ... r-memories

ETA: Small correction on my part, I did find this. In 1958 Congress approved for Confederate Veterans to be afforded the same benefits as Union Veterans, only thing is there were no living Confederate Veterans by then to take advantage of it.

"It is clear that, in the wake of the Civil War, Congress did not grant Confederate veterans the same benefits as other U.S. veterans. Their pensions were doled out by state governments, they were unable to seek treatment from federal veteran’s hospitals, and they were not considered U.S. military veterans.

That started to shift in 1929, when Congress authorized the placement of federal headstones and markers on the graves of Confederate veterans, including those outside of national cemeteries.

When Congress decided to take over administration of pensions to Confederate veterans and their widows in 1958, only one veteran who may have qualified was still alive (his status as a Confederate veteran is disputed by historians)."
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member