Historic Flyover 5/8

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
etprescottazusa91

Historic Flyover 5/8

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

For all members in the Valley of the Sun

The Commemorative Air Force will conduct a historic warbird flyover of the Phoenix/West and East Valley metro area the morning of Friday, May 8 to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of Victory in Europe (the end of World War II) and salute the enduring spirit of Arizonans throughout history -- including their strength and community spirit while dealing with the COVID 19 public health emergency.

The formation of three large aircraft will launch from historic Falcon Field in Mesa at approximately 8:20 a.m. to form-up and first head West over central Mesa, then to south metro, the west valley, north metro and east valley. Included in the flyover salute is Mesa Cemetery where U.S. veterans and British RAF cadets are buried, the State Capitol over the USS Arizona monument, the National Cemetery and several communities around the area. A route map and 'time overhead' of planned flyover locations can be viewed on www.azcaf.org/ve-day-flyover. The entire route should take about one hour.

The historically significant aircraft planned for the flight include: a B-17 Flying Fortress, B-25 Mitchell Bomber and C-47 Skytrain -- all of which flew service in World War II and have strong wartime connections to Arizona. Arizona joins Texas and Washington, DC as among communities honoring this vital time in history with commemorative flyovers on the anniversary of VE Day.
Capture flyover.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
tjtM38

Re: Historic Flyover 5/8

Post by tjtM38 »

Great work by the CAF. Love those old planes and have a lot of respect for the people who operate and maintain some of the best part of WWII history. Keep 'em flying!
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

A co-worker was a WW II vet and told people when he was asked about his service he said he was based in England and worked on engines. After he died, his brother told us he was a waist gunner on a B 17 . Tremendous planes.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

My late great uncle was a mechanic stationed in the UK during the war. He primarily worked on B-17s. Talk about a tough job-working under extreme conditions and losing crews and planes daily. He never spoke much about what he did or saw and it drove him to drink afterwards. Fortunately he sobered up and had many years gainfully employed as a mechanic at Trans World Airlines.