Mosin nagant loads?

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
bobonl

Mosin nagant loads?

Post by bobonl »

Recently I started casting, and I was wondering on where I should begin with charging the cartridge.

I cast 185 Gr. solid lead bullets out of a Lee .312 two cavity mold, sized to .311 and then greased.
Now the question arises when I begin to charge the case, I have IMR 4895.
According to the Lee reloading manual, latest rendition, a 180 Gr. solid bullet would have a starting charge of 40 Gr.
Is this correct? How would I be able to determine the charge needed for a 185 Gr. Solid lead bullet?

Thanks in regards, B. :thumbsup:
tjtM38

Re: Mosin nagant loads?

Post by tjtM38 »

Make sure the data you are referencing is data for cast bullets. I think you may be looking at starting loads for jacketed bullets. If so, you could be producing loads with velocities too high for cast bullets, resulting in significant leading in the barrel and possibly other problems. Reloading shouldn't be guess work and experimentation. I recommend finding established data for the type and weight of bullet you are using and stick with that data. I will be honest; I don't load cast bullets in 7.62x54r because I have never wanted to deal with the mess and hazards of casting lead. I stick with jacketed bullets for all my rifle loads.
silverado1999

Re: Mosin nagant loads?

Post by silverado1999 »

I use the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook for all of my cast bullet reloading. It doesn't list IMR 4895 in the data. From top to bottom of the table they have:
Alliant 2400
IMR SR-4759
IMR 4227
Accurate 5744
IMR 4198
Vihtavuori N-133
Alliant Reloader 7
Do you have any of these powders? I heard, when I was new to reloading that one could use data for a jacketed bullet of the same weight for cast bullets. I'm here to tell you that is not correct. I absolutely agree with tjtM38 on this. If you have any of the powders I have listed I will be happy to relay the published data from Lymans cast bullet manual.
I have two Mosin 91/30's and I have Accurate 5744 and IMR 4227 and these are the powders I use for that exact same cast bullet. IMR 4227 is listed giving the best accuracy in the 7.62X54R.
Curious enough to take it apart;
Skilled enough to put it back together;
Clever enough to hide the extra parts!