1990 Wifama kbks wz.78.

Rim Fire Firearms
Lotema

1990 Wifama kbks wz.78.

Post by Lotema »

I'm having way too much fun adding to the Polish collection! Here's a new one that I just picked up this afternoon, a 1990 Wifama kbks wz.78. It's a mouthful to say but boy is it worth it! I had originally been bidding on a pretty nice Tula dragoon but someone else (*cough* *cough* djbuck1) outbid me on it. No sooner had that auction ended, one for this wz.78 started. I'm not normally a .22 shooter but Titanium Hammer has been subtly pushing me in that direction. I picked up a wz.48 a couple weeks back and really liked it and figured that it needed to be paired with a more modern Polish trainer. Took a week of watching the auction, someone else running me up in the last 10 minutes etc, but this one came home with me.

As I understand it, these rifles were in designed in 1978 to replace the wz.48 trainer. The wz.48 used Mosin style sights while the wz.78 uses removable AK style sights. The rifles themselves were produced in 1989 through at least 1991. The first batch that was produced had a metal trigger guard (A-series) while the later batch had a plastic trigger guard (B-series). Mine is of the later B-series. Around the same time as production was happening, Poland was leaving the Soviet sphere of influence and on the path to join NATO. As a result, they began to change out from Soviet to NATO weapons and suddenly these trainers weren't needed anymore and were put into storage.

Between 2010 and 2012, most, if not all of the wz.78's began to show up in the US, being sold through Wideners, SOG, AIM, ENM Sports etc. They quickly sold out and have only been on the secondary market since then. As I understand it, only around 5000 of these were made. Many folks commented that the B-series rifles that were showing up appeared to be new and may not have ever been fired in Poland. True or not, hard to say but that's at least what a number of folks were reporting.

While spending my week between the start and the end of the auction, I kept trying to find more information about the wz.78 but boy, there just isn't much out there about them. What I did run into was a thread on another forum that was from the original owner of this rifle. From what I understand, he wound up buying 4 of these, 2 of which he put away as safe queens and never fired. This rifle was one of those. Whether it remained that way up until I took ownership, I don't currently know but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

Today, the rifle showed up at the LGS and as soon as I got the notification from UPS, I headed down there to pick her up. After a quick transfer I was off to the range. Managed to get there just as they opened, posted my targets and was off. First shot was about 3 inches high @25 yards so I adjusted the sight. Now an inch high. Adjusted again and was perfect elevation wise. All of the shots were about an inch left so I tried to adjust the sight for windage. My AK tool doesn't want to easily fit over the sight with the screw that holds it to the dovetail. I removed that but couldn't get the sight to move to the left. I'm going to have to hit it with some PB blaster and just let it soak.

I ran through a few different types of ammo and it liked everything I gave it. I fed it CCI mini-mag, American Eagle, Eley Target and SK match. I was really happy that it liked the Eley as I had just bought 500 rounds of that for the wz.48 and it absolutely hated it. 8" groups that keyholed all over the place. Well, the wz.78 ate it and kept asking for more.

Enough of my yackity yack. Here's some photos for you..

Left side of the rifle. Stock is made of the same beech that the Polish m44 & wz.48 are made out of. It's not a dull finish on it though, this one really has some shine and luster to it.

The sights on the rifle are basically the same as those on the AK. Makes sense since that's what it's mean to train them on! The sights on this are removable though. The rifle has a dovetail mount for a scope, so quick detachment of the sights is a good things. They're very easy to take off and put back on.

All of the numbered parts on the rifle are matching, bolt included. The bolt is interesting and frustrating. Manipulating the bolt is very similar to doing the same with a Mosin that is having sticky bolt. Talked with another person at our range that has one of these and he says it really smooths out after 500 rounds (and starts shooting good after 500!). It's definately not the smoothest bolt I've operated, so I hope that he's right.

Like the sights, the sling is an AK style sling.

The front sight is removable just like the rear. An AK tool can be used to adjust elevation or windage though with the AK tool I have, I had to remove the screw holding the sight on the dovetail. Even then, I couldn't get it to move. Time to soak it in some penetrating oil.

The wz.78 comes with a 5 round detachable magazine. This one was electro-penciled to match the rifle. I'll have to find at least one more magazine, hate the idea of only having one. Unfortunately the magazines are not easy to find and usually run in the 40-50 dollar range.

When it gets down to it, the important part about the rifle is it's ability to shoot and this one seems to do that just fine. I was just sighting in at 25 yards with iron sights today but was very happy with the groups that I was getting.

It's no wonder she shoots so good. The bore would make you cry, it's just that beautiful.

Here she is on the bench at the range. Hadn't even bothered to finish taking the packing material off of her yet.

All scoped up and ready for the weekend.

All in all I'm really impressed with this one. It's a bit rough here and there but overall is just a gorgeous rifle and can go toe to toe with a lot of the other higher end .22's.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Titanium Hammer

Re: 1990 Wifama kbks wz.78.

Post by Titanium Hammer »

That's just gorgeous Lotema! :Drool1: So glad you were able to bring that one home. Now I've got to go find one. The Cz is licking its chops. See you at the range this Saturday! :thumbsup:
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Forgot to ask, how's the trigger & did you play with that trigger screw at all?
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Titanium Hammer wrote:Forgot to ask, how's the trigger & did you play with that trigger screw at all?
The trigger is light but a looooong pull. You get used to it pretty quick and after a few rounds can do a pretty good job of figuring out where it'll break. I haven't measured the pull itself yet but would say it's probably around 1.5 lbs or just a hair heavier. I want to move the trigger towards the back but I don't have a screwdriver with a small enough blade that will reach down to the screw. I'd like to move it back maybe 1/8th - 1/4 of an inch. It's not bad where it's at but feels like I'm really reaching for it a bit. Nice that the trigger is on a rail and can be moved so easily.
Lotema
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Lotema wrote:
Titanium Hammer wrote:Forgot to ask, how's the trigger & did you play with that trigger screw at all?
The trigger is light but a looooong pull. You get used to it pretty quick and after a few rounds can do a pretty good job of figuring out where it'll break. I haven't measured the pull itself yet but would say it's probably around 1.5 lbs or just a hair heavier. I want to move the trigger towards the back but I don't have a screwdriver with a small enough blade that will reach down to the screw. (Yeah, I know, I can take the trigger guard off. Bolt disassembly and reassembly was enough for me today). I'd like to move it back maybe 1/8th - 1/4 of an inch. It's not bad where it's at but feels like I'm really reaching for it a bit. Nice that the trigger is on a rail and can be moved so easily.
Lotema
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Very nice. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Those sights are insane.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Longcolt44 wrote:Those sights are insane.
Yes they most certainly are! The rifle looks a lot better without them but they are very usable and capable. Maybe they'll train me to shoot my AK with iron sights better. Certainly can't make it worse!

I've just been itching to get it back to the range with the scope. I have a feeling this one is going to be a serious tack driver once I get the scope setup properly. Going to swap the rings out before shooting this weekend, the current ones are too tall.
Lotema
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Dang I like this. I never have seen or heard of them.
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

bunkysdad wrote:Dang I like this. I never have seen or heard of them.
I hadn't either until pretty recently. Titanium Hammer and I ran across a few posts here and there about them while we were doing some research on the wz.48. They really caught my eye and after seeing some of the feedback about them, I knew I would have to get one at some point. I'm just happy that this one went up for auction while I had some money in my pocket! Looking at it in person, you'd swear it just rolled off the production line.
Lotema