Stevens Double Barrel

Everything shotgun discussed here.
tailgunner67

Stevens Double Barrel

Post by tailgunner67 »

Can anyone help me identify this Stevens model from these pictures, or point me to a place on it that I need a pic of? I inherited from my father and I am trying to put together some gun values for insurance purposes. I know it isn't worth a whole lot but I would like to have an idea of value.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Stevens Double Barrel

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's based on the old 315, I forget the model number. Probably early 1950's, I own the same one. My neighbors father purchased it shortly before his death in 1953, his guns were locked in a cedar cabinet in the living room of the house until I got it open in 1996. All she had to do was ask if I could open up a locked cabinet for her, and oh yea, my fathers guns are inside it, no, I don't know what they are. That 12 gauge double, a Stevens .410 under over, 20 gauge double New York Gun Co with side hammers, and a single shot 12. The guy had been a bird hunter, the guns were amazingly well preserved, no rust, very little dust. Humidity and temp controlled environment in the house. I would think $250 would be about right.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

Yeah, I'd insure it for about $300. Looks like a 335-the 315 has a shorter pistol grip to it becuse the lower tang is shorter.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's not the 315, it's the model that followed it, it's has thicker more stabile sears and triggers
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

Well we agree on something, Jim. I'm pretty sure it's a Model 335.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I don't remember, mine is packed away were it would take me hours to dig it out. I have 315's also, and I do remember being impressed with the improvement's to the later model. I had several 315's come to me that had a habit of letting go both barrels when only one was fired, worn internals. Back then Numrich had the new parts to fix that but 30 years later maybe not anymore.
Theodore Roosevelt
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

Thanks for the information.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Looks a lot like the 311 I have but mine is an H series and doesn't have the art work. Mine is a Model 311 E Series H and was made about the mid 70s if that helps. Keep in mind this is restored condition and the stock is a replacement. It had to be restored after being in a flooded basement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
entropy

Post by entropy »

311's are labeled 311 on the receiver. OP's is not. Also note the pistol grip shape of the two. OP's pistol grip is almost an English style stock with a slight down turn at the back. I've owned several 311's and, like yours, they all have shorter pistol grips with short lower tangs, and although I can't see the lower tang on the OP's gun, the pistol grip is shaped to fit the longer bottom tang of the 335.

Murphy was an optimist.

WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

entropy wrote:311's are labeled 311 on the receiver. OP's is not. Also note the pistol grip shape of the two. OP's pistol grip is almost an English style stock with a slight down turn at the back. I've owned several 311's and, like yours, they all have shorter pistol grips with short lower tangs, and although I can't see the lower tang on the OP's gun, the pistol grip is shaped to fit the longer bottom tang of the 335.
I was posting about the 311 as more of a reference for the year. I figured his was older than mine but probably not newer. I'm still not exactly sure WTH mine is because though it says it's a 311 series H there's a bunch of different sub models Best I came up with on mine is it's probably a 311 E. I really needed to know that a few years ago because I was looking to replace a broken hammer and most places just listed them as 311 hammers but there's slight differences in them. Oh and what a bitch to replace those hammers. Don't dry fire 311s, I did it by accident and broke one.
entropy

Post by entropy »

I've replaced about a dozen. It gets easier the more you do them.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Murphy was an optimist.

WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

entropy wrote:I've replaced about a dozen. It gets easier the more you do them.

Hopefully I'll never have to do it again. One problem I noticed after I got it back together is the firing pins seem to drag across the primers and make a scratch when I break the gun open. The firing pins are fully retracted once i get the breach open. Ever seen that. I've only put 6 shells through it since I replaced the hammers. Oh I replaced the firing pins and springs while I had it apart but the replacements looked exactly like the OE parts. I got all of this from Numrich so I'm not sure if they're OE replacement parts but they look like it.
entropy

Post by entropy »

Did you replace the cocking levers and springs? Always a good idea to replace anything like that while you have it apart.

Murphy was an optimist.

WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

entropy wrote:Did you replace the cocking levers and springs? Always a good idea to replace anything like that while you have it apart.

Yes it was a kit and it came with the hammers, lever and spring. You made me have to go dig out the receipt so I wouldn't be lying. This was back in 2011. I was a mechanic for 30+ years so I understand about taking preventive measures when repairing something. My main thing was getting the right parts. Like I said there's a crap load of sub models and like 4 or 5 different types of hammers and a different cocking lever. The only reason I took it that far apart was the broken hammer which I did dry firing it. This gun had only had about 50 shells through it and it sat in a case in my uncles damp and sometimes flooding basement. It was one of the lucky guns out of the 5 or 6 in the case. It had minimal damage and a cracked stock. I'm still not finished with it but at least it's a working firearm now. This is what it looked like before I started.
entropy

Post by entropy »

You've done an excellent job restoring it.[emoji5]

Murphy was an optimist.

WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

entropy wrote:You've done an excellent job restoring it.[emoji5]

Thanks but it's not really done. I was doing this using a makeshift table on the carport and minimal tools. I had to sand and file the pitting off of the barrels and only cold blued it. It's not a super valuable gun but it is one of my first firearms. It's actually the first firearm I ever bought. I had others that were given to me. One of these afternoons I'm going to take pictures of the others I cleaned up and makes some new posts. I also have been dabbling in building ARs. Built a really nice M16A1/2 clone and an M4A3 Carbine.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

I recently picked one up and gave it to an old friend as a gift because he was looking for a 16 gauge double barrel. The sales I found were $150-250 for a model 311 which I believe the one I had was. It was made 1930s from what could tell but looked newer that that. I paid less than $150 for it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I remember when these were $25 items at the flea markets, I would see more of these than milsurps, from time to time I bought one when milsurp pickins were slim. Before 1950 you would have found one of these guns behind the back door of every farmhouse in America all set for when the fox got in the henhouse or the boyfriend brought the daughter home late.
Theodore Roosevelt
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

Upon further review.....

I dug her out of the safe tonight and looked her over. There is nothing on the bottom of the receiver, but on the right side, stamped very small is 5100. I am sorry I did not see this sooner. It is a very small marking. A quick internet search showed that these were made before the 311. Sometime from 1931 to 1941. Kinda cool. I had no idea it was that old. I have no idea where my dad got it. He used it for rabbit hunting when I was a kid.