M38 with Egyptian Markings

"Special", rarer, and "hard to find" Mosins

For your browsing pleasure.
neal45

M38 with Egyptian Markings

Post by neal45 »

I’m always on the lookout for something unique and I found it this week. Besides Russian History and Military Weapons, I am interested in Egypt in many ways and have visited there twice. While I don’t want to expand into later Egyptian weapons, the Mosin is different.

These marked Mosins are not very common. I had a friend translate the information on them from Karl-Heinz Wrobel’s book, Volume 2 and I hope KH doesn’t mind me posting it. So here the relevant info from his Egyptian Marked Mosin page:

After Egypt got closer to the Soviet Union during the cold war, a large amount of M. 1891/30 rifles, among them many from Hungary, and many M. 1944 from various (manufacturing) countries made their way to Egypt. They were used without alteration, although Arabic numbers were written on the right side of the butt with white or yellowish lacquer. The - in a very British way - “Railway Works Department” (RWD) named factory manufactures replacement barrels. Large quantities of ammunition of the 7.62x54R calibre were manufactured in Egypt. The arms were sold in the 80s after Egypt got closer to the United States.

It looks like Egyptian Marked M38s are not that common but here is mine. The rack number is 148 (or 841) but I'm not sure about the other charcters. I have included some Egyptian cartridges that I have had for some time. It is the nastiest Mosin ammo I have ever used.

The carbine bolt is a mixture of parts and the buttplate (not shown) does not match. It appears to be an early Century import. It failed the field headspace test but that is irrelevant to me since I have enough Mosin shooters to keep me busy.

The handguard shows a nasty dent and crack but the apparent crack in the buttstock is just in the shellac.

The stock is the M44 type with a bayonet groove, sling slots are late war/post war, and there are no refurb marks.

Discussion Section

Discussion Section