Bayonet point of impact experiment

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Hlavinka

Post by Hlavinka »

Mikey_P, my friend Bob and myself were at the range yesterday for my annual Birthday Shoot. We conducted an experiment on the effect that a mounted bayonet would have on the point of impact (POI) versus point of aim (POA). Like yourselves, I had read and heard that the rifles were sighted in with the bayonet and the POI would be closer to the POA at reduced ranges.

The results are below. The results were shocking to us in person. Not only were the shots closer to POA the grouping was much tighter! The excellent Polish light ball and a like new 1943 Izhevsk 91/30 were used by my friend Bob to conduct the test. Unlike myself, Bob has excellent results shooting with the 91/30 open sights. The bayonet was chosen to fit very tightly yet still be easy to mount and dismount. I realise that this is only one rifle and particular bayonet with a certain type of ammunition conducted by one shooter in only one weather condition. Next time out I will try it with a different bayonet and rifle to see if similar results can be produced.

Edit: Forgot to add that five shots were fired at 100 yards for each group from a rest. One of the five from the "with bayonet" group was a called "flincher" the other four were grouped nicely in the circled area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Bayonet point of impact experiment

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, I have seen similar results myself, but I tend to get tighter groups without the bayo, just they are off to the rt as shown. The best groups came from the issued 91/30's, the no shellac once I got a few years ago, they shot to point of aim at 100 yards, no bayo, no sight adjusting. They had been set that way, all 12 of them, or how ever many it was I got back them, I was getting them cheap so I bought a lot.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Hlavinka

Post by Hlavinka »

Yes, JYD reminded me of something else to add: We didn't touch the front sight, this was with the "out of the crate" settings.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

This would be a good experiment that all of us could easily try on the next range trip and post results to here. I have a couple of rifles that shoot good groups and to POA without bayonets, but I have not shot them with the bayonets. I will on the next shoot try the same.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Hlavinka

Post by Hlavinka »

SA1911a1 wrote:This would be a good experiment that all of us could easily try on the next range trip and post results to here. I have a couple of rifles that shoot good groups and to POA without bayonets, but I have not shot them with the bayonets. I will on the next shoot try the same.
Great Idea. Much bigger sample population under varying conditions.
AoxoMoxoA

Post by AoxoMoxoA »

So, is it normal to have to drift the front sight to the right for those who do not shoot with the bayonet attached? My Mosin (1943 Izhevsk) shot high and to the right when I first fired it. I've taken care of the elevation problem by installing a taller front sight post. Windage wise, I have had to drift my front sight to the right about 3/32" from the armorer's index marks in order to bring the POI to center. I would try to shoot it with the bayonet, but it is way too tight going on, and I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get it off.
[hr]▫ 1942 Suojeluskuntain Ase ja Konepaja Oy M39
▫ 1952г Tula M45 Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

AoxoMoxoA wrote:So, is it normal to have to drift the front sight to the right for those who do not shoot with the bayonet attached? My Mosin (1943 Izhevsk) shot high and to the right when I first fired it. I've taken care of the elevation problem by installing a taller front sight post. Windage wise, I have had to drift my front sight to the right about 3/32" from the armorer's index marks in order to bring the POI to center. I would try to shoot it with the bayonet, but it is way too tight going on, and I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get it off.
Yep. Sometimes the front sight needs to be drifted if you don't want to be shooting with the bayonet on all the time.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130