Dan's VZ 24 Mauser (AIM Surplus - "Rare Dated 1939")

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
dansammo.us

Dan's VZ 24 Mauser (AIM Surplus - "Rare Dated 1939")

Post by dansammo.us »

Hi all,

It's been awhile but wanted to drop in and show everyone my latest acquisition and get some additional experienced opinions.

I picked this mauser up over at AIM, it was one of the "rare dated" they had in stock for a short while (thanks Weldon for the heads up!) It is a VZ24 dated 1939. Overall I'm very impressed and satisfied with my purchase. Oh yeah, what an awesome serial #!

I'm wondering if the "top half" had been replaced, but due to the repair there might be a possibility it's original.

Enjoy!
Last edited by dansammo.us on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dan's VZ 24 Mauser (AIM Surplus - "Rare Dated 1939")

Post by bunkysdad »

Oh yeah, that's nice. One would be hard pressed to find a nicer VZ-24
WeldonHunter

Re: Dan's VZ 24 Mauser (AIM Surplus -

Post by WeldonHunter »

bunkysdad wrote:Oh yeah, that's nice. One would be hard pressed to find a nicer VZ-24
They had the ones with the 3 line arched crest but they sold super fast. He was looking to pick one of these up and was hoping they wouldn't sell out before he could do it. Then I saw these dated and crested ones. I emailed him a link and said time to get one if you can swing it and get one of these. There was 4 with the crests when I sent the email but that changed real quick. Oh well he did good anyway. :thumbsup:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice Looking 24!!!. While this is a romanian contract M24 i am wondering if it has the TRZ1 mark on the stock. I don't know if they used the same practice as the russians but i feel on some they did not as it was not the same involvement and many were turned into M24/47s. I have seen a few M24s that were not refurbed and have the same handguard but am not as familiar with the romanian contract or if it is a russian capture from stalingrad or other places. If it had a TRZ mark i believe you could narrow it down some. If it is a russian capture i have no idea but i would say it is 50-50. There probly is someone who knows though. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1:
The black paint on it says to me russian capture but i don't know for sure.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
dansammo.us

Post by dansammo.us »

Thanks everyone for the kind words, I can't wait to shoot this thing!!

I'm pulling a quote from gunboards (Weldon, again sent me this link on these "dated" VZ's) I guess it was sold on contract into the czech army since it has the E lion icon, 39 pressed into it.
By 1938 any # of would be contract rifles were pressed into Czech army service. The only way to know that they were sold on contract is to look for the czech inspectors mark. E lion 'icon' 39 or so on the left hand side of the reciever. By the way, the cleaning rods on all of these refurbished rifles are not as issued. They are in general great shooters as the bores saw no post ww2 use. they are though of little historical 'value'. I have owned and shot several of them, but eventually sell them off. When you collect long eonugh you realize that ugly battle scarred ones with little blue, warn bores but in original condition are quite collectable.
gil
here's the link for anyone interested:
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... ost2281711
Last edited by dansammo.us on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice. Is there more info added to this? Was it issued a romanian number and then not sold to romania or was it issued to romania after the czech service?
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

desdem12 wrote:Nice Looking 24!!!. While this is a romanian contract M24 i am wondering if it has the TRZ1 mark on the stock. I don't know if they used the same practice as the russians but i feel on some they did not as it was not the same involvement and many were turned into M24/47s. I have seen a few M24s that were not refurbed and have the same handguard but am not as familiar with the romanian contract or if it is a russian capture from stalingrad or other places. If it had a TRZ mark i believe you could narrow it down some. If it is a russian capture i have no idea but i would say it is 50-50. There probly is someone who knows though. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1:
The black paint on it says to me russian capture but i don't know for sure.

Brad these are Czech BRNO VZ24 Romanian Contract rifles that were used to fill gaps in the contract from what I understand and that's why the date wasn't scrubbed like they did with the crests. They're also Russian refurbs so capture is entirely possible. Where, who knows. This is from the same batch that I bought my 2 from. They put these aside when they coded them in to sell seperately.
Last edited by WeldonHunter on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Thanks Mike. I figured when i saw the "russian black" paint. :lol: There was a whole pile of romanian conscripts in southern russia that never made it to the end. :D
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

dansammo.us wrote:Thanks everyone for the kind words, I can't wait to shoot this thing!!

I'm pulling a quote from gunboards (Weldon, again sent me this link on these "dated" VZ's) I guess it was sold on contract into the czech army since it has the E lion icon, 39 pressed into it.
By 1938 any # of would be contract rifles were pressed into Czech army service. The only way to know that they were sold on contract is to look for the czech inspectors mark. E lion 'icon' 39 or so on the left hand side of the reciever. By the way, the cleaning rods on all of these refurbished rifles are not as issued. They are in general great shooters as the bores saw no post ww2 use. they are though of little historical 'value'. I have owned and shot several of them, but eventually sell them off. When you collect long eonugh you realize that ugly battle scarred ones with little blue, warn bores but in original condition are quite collectable.
gil
They were made by the Czechs and sold to the Romanians. They may have been issued to the Czech soldiers but I've never heard that before. I was under the impression they were produced for the Romanians and that's why they all have an R in the serial number and the letter before denotes about when in the contract they were made. Yours is an AR, early. Mine are BRXXXX, CRXXXX, and one i got 13 years ago is TRXXXX. I'm still learning these rifles so anyone who knows more join in.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

You are correct in that. They were made in sets of a specific number for each prefix. I can't remember now what the number was. There are a known number for that reason. There are 2 letter prefixes with the second being an R with all letters except no Zs or Ys have been found (unless recently). An AR2222 would be the first go around so likely is the 2222 made rifle of the romanian contract. A very handsome stock too. Was captured early it looks like. :D
dou44

Post by dou44 »

very nice rifle and they do shoot good. :thumbsup:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

That is a Romanian contract rifle that was pressed into czech service. The E4Lion39 is the czech acceptance mark. I have a Czech Lion crested one that went to Romania, instead of being accepted into Czech service. The MC mark underneath the barrel is a Romanian arsenal mark. I would say the late 30's were quite a crazy time at the BRNO factory. BTW VZ24s are not the same as Yugo M24s. Yugo M24's were refurbed into M24/47s, but not VZ24s. The 24/47s are the intermediate length action, and the VZ24s are the same as the German GEW 98s, and later K98s.
lion crest.JPG
Romanian MC mark.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt