New roof going on today

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
SA1911a1

New roof going on today

Post by SA1911a1 »

An all Hispanic crew of 8 men got here this morning at 7:30, In about an hour they will be done. It is a more complicated roof than most, covering a little over 2,000 sq. ft. of floor, three valleys and three hips. They replaced the equivilent of a dozen sheets of plywood where the old roof penetrations had leaked over the last 25 years. Most of those penetrations were eliminated in this cycle.

In a liftime of construction, I have never a more efficient operation taking place. There seemed to be no instructions passed back and forth, everyone knew exactly what they were doing and just did it. No chit-chat, no grab-assing, just smart efficient work. It was like watching a balet and it was hard to take my eyes off of the process. Currrent Florida building codes require a lot of extra steps in trying to be hurricane resistent. All of the old wood had to be renailed, all of the plywood joints sealed, the underlayment is some high-tech polymer and every shingle is getting eight staples. Of course that means crapola if the big cherry tree at the end of the house gets blown on it.

I can tell you, I appreciate their work ethic and their skills whether they have legal documents or not. I am impressed.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Re: New roof going on today

Post by ffuries »

You aren't kidding on all the extra steps they must do now. Glad yall got a good solid roof over your heads now..

The Hispanic crew that did our roof was the same way. Busted their asses, some rebuilding the damaged eaves, some replacing bad and missing decking, some running extra nails. Before we knew it they were 90% done before it got to dark to work. Ours was done in January 2019.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

ffuries wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:58 pm You aren't kidding on all the extra steps they must do now. Glad yall got a good solid roof over your heads now..

The Hispanic crew that did our roof was the same way. Busted their asses, some rebuilding the damaged eaves, some replacing bad and missing decking, some running extra nails. Before we knew it they were 90% done before it got to dark to work. Ours was done in January 2019.
7:30-5:30 with an hour and a half lunch. You know, mike, none of them looked like they were busting their asses, but there was no wasted motion. I am dead tired after just watching. ;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 2:41 pm
ffuries wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:58 pm You aren't kidding on all the extra steps they must do now. Glad yall got a good solid roof over your heads now..

7:30-5:30 with an hour and a half lunch. You know, mike, none of them looked like they were busting their asses, but there was no wasted motion. I am dead tired after just watching. ;)
Oh, I hear you brother. Remember how steep my roof angle is. Imagine hauling wood, shingles, and that new fangled roof paper up this roof all day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Down there I would take a page out of the middle ages and build with stone with walls five feet thick. The high water table probably precludes a dungeon, but you can't have everything.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:33 pm Down there I would take a page out of the middle ages and build with stone with walls five feet thick. The high water table probably precludes a dungeon, but you can't have everything.
Jim, there ain't no damn stones around here; we would have to truck them from the North. Over where Mike is, there isn't even dirt, all they have is sand. Houses aren't the real problem, you can build a strong house, even a wooden house will stand up to the wind. What gets you is when the roof comes off or the windows blow out. Now, tornados, that are increasing in frequency, don't respect any building products, and they don't give you three days notice that they are coming. I have family in Northern Alabama, and they all have tornado shelters, if we built a tornado shelter it would become an underground pond.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 4:43 pm
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:33 pm Down there I would take a page out of the middle ages and build with stone with walls five feet thick. The high water table probably precludes a dungeon, but you can't have everything.
Jim, there ain't no damn stones around here; we would have to truck them from the North. Over where Mike is, there isn't even dirt, all they have is sand. Houses aren't the real problem, you can build a strong house, even a wooden house will stand up to the wind. What gets you is when the roof comes off or the windows blow out. Now, tornados, that are increasing in frequency, don't respect any building products, and they don't give you three days notice that they are coming. I have family in Northern Alabama, and they all have tornado shelters, if we built a tornado shelter it would become an underground pond.
Funny you should mention shelters. I've actually considered having one put into the garage floor. Been doing a lot of reading into them and the companies that install them. There are some that don't only do new builds, but will do them in pre existing garages.

I'd just have in done in the middle of the garage so that it doesn't affect the garage to man cave conversion plans. Hell might make a great place to stash the guns if I have to evacuate also.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member