Memorial Day 2024

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
ffuries

Memorial Day 2024

Post by ffuries »

As Americans go about their hard earned 3 day weekend, let's not forget the true meaning and price of Memorial Day.

Over 646,596 American troops have died in battle and more than 539,000 have died from other, non-combat related causes, since the American Revolutionary War started in April 1775. That's a total of over 1,185,596 Americans that have died in service. Think about that for a minute, that's almost 1.2 million people, the price of freedom hasn't been cheap.

Some are interred here at home at national cemeteries, or public ones, some are interred in cemeteries across Europe and the Pacific. Of these some lay under markers with their names, while others just have a number. They are the ones known only to God.

Some are entombed in the aircraft or ships they fought and died in. Still some lay forgotten, except by family, on the battlefields they fought and died on, awaiting a homecoming or memorial, that has eluded them since death.

So on Monday, no matter where you are, or what you're doing at 1500 take a moment to reflect in silence what you have and remember those who paid for it with there blood and lives.

Memorial Day is meant to pay homage to them, not to get plastered and make assss out of ourselves. My flag will fly at half mast in honor and remembrance of their sacrifices.

With all this said, I wish everyone here, at the RMNF, a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend.

I'd be remiss if I failed to mention that our allies over the years have loss their fair share of military members, ensuring freedom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Memorial Day 2024

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:USA Flag: :USA Flag: :USA Flag: :USA Flag: :USA Flag: :USA Flag: never forget what cost has been paid for freedom and never sell it cheap.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt