Self-Defence Guns

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
jasonjuliusgp7google

Self-Defence Guns

Post by jasonjuliusgp7google »

I am new on the forum and I want a revolver for my safety on a low budget can anyone suggest me a weapon?
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: Self-Defence Guns

Post by Darryl »

Oh gees.....you going to get a thousand different opinions here! :chuckles:

If you are not familiar with handguns, then some say stick with a "wheel gun" (revolver).
For light weight revolvers, the S&W have a lot of light weight revolvers that have a .38 special +P load and extremely light weight. Will even fit in a pocket. Enough power to do the job. Most are only 5 rounds but, if you can't hit something in 5, then ....wow.
Some love semi autos. Lots of very tiny autos out there.

Darryl
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

This is my carry gun; a S&W Model 638-3. I highly recommend it, but your will pay close to $500 new. I would not go cheap on something my life may depend on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

That's interesting because I have a S&W 442 lightweight.
.38 special +P 5 shot
Untitled.png
Very light weight and no hammer to get caught up if carrying in the pocket.
I only paid $375 for it. I took it apart and put new springs in it so the trigger pull is lighter. They can be a little unruly on the pull new.
I kind of wish I had got the titanium frame instead but, this one is lighter...so.

I also carry around a little Bersa Thunder semi (.380). Not as light but easy to reload.
Darryl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

tjtM38 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:19 pm This is my carry gun; a S&W Model 638-3. I highly recommend it, but your will pay close to $500 new. I would not go cheap on something my life may depend on.
I have the same pistol. Love it. All season pocket carry.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Darryl wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:44 pm That's interesting because I have a S&W 442 lightweight.
.38 special +P 5 shot

I only paid $375 for it. I took it apart and put new springs in it so the trigger pull is lighter. They can be a little unruly on the pull new.
I kind of wish I had got the titanium frame instead but, this one is lighter...so.

I also carry around a little Bersa Thunder semi (.380). Not as light but easy to reload.
Darryl

The Smith & Wesson J-frame .38 Special revolvers are very high quality, but these Airweights have significant recoil with the +P .38's. I'm actually loading mine with a Sellier and Bellot 140 grain lead cowboy load that's more controlable shooting double action. These guns get carried a lot and shot little.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

They are pretty snappy. I keep 125 gr +P loads in mine.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

millman wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:51 pm They are pretty snappy. I keep 125 gr +P loads in mine.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

millman wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:51 pm They are pretty snappy. I keep 125 gr +P loads in mine.
They sure the Hell are! :chuckles:
Still, I'm used to the big .45 and this is still workable for me. Others might prefer a lighter load or just a low load .38 special.
Darryl
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I bought this in December for $210 new. And I can't complain. This does the job. When these first came out about 10 years ago, they had a few problems. But now, no complaints. They also make these hammerless and one with a 4 inch barrel. I have no problems carrying this one.

I'll warn you though, revolvers can get addicting.

Well, you said you were on a low budget :lol:
1 - ID US RIA M206 sn RIA2541352.jpg
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ruger GP100 .357 mag. It's medium budget, I don't recommend staking your life, or the life of your loved ones on low budget anything. Nothing wrong with buying a used revolver if you find one in good shape if it means getting a better quality piece than you can afford new. The GP isn't small either, hideout guns are fine for their intended purpose, last ditch, but I want something with a bit of weight and clobbering power if it came to that. Not all automatics are crap, I know people who love their Glock's, for me there are only two automatics, M1911, and Colt pocket 1903. John Browning knew a thing or two about firearms design.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Darryl wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:44 pm That's interesting because I have a S&W 442 lightweight.
.38 special +P 5 shot
Untitled.png

Darryl
Slightly different flavor; same theme.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

My first suggestion for a new shooter would be to find an NRA Basic Pistol class. It would be good for the safety of the shooter and those who are around him or her. You can contact the NRA online to find a class offering near you.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

A lot of great advice given....One thing left out though. If you can find someplace that let's you try out guns, shoot a variety of different pistols and find one you're comfortable with.

What fits my hand, or what works for me, might be too big, bulky, powerful, uncomfortable etc for someone else. You want a gun that fits your hands, and that you are comfortable with, then shoot the hell out it. This way you are familiar with its operation and your proficient with it, this allows you to be able to pull it and fire it by memory.

Just my two :2cents:.....
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

IMG_3831.jpeg
Here is a 14.5 ounce nickel model 38 in .38 special.
Last edited by etprescottazusa91 on Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Smith and Wesson model 38 nickle in .38 special caliber.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933