My 1942 PU

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
SimonUK

My 1942 PU

Post by SimonUK »

Hi all,

New member here from the UK!

I have been doing some research on my 1942 Izhevsk PU sniper, and although I'm pretty sure what I have researched is correct, I'm interested in the opinions of the proper experts on this forum. This sniper was bought for me years ago by my dad when I was 15. Dad and I were very close and we shot a lot at Bisley with it (and his Lee Enfield). But sadly, he died of cancer in 2010, which makes this rifle rather special, so I'm interested to know what it's back history is (good or bad!).

It has the correct 'C' in a circle marking on the barrel, serial number prefix is in the list of sniper builds for that year, and I know the scope is a very late copy. It has Ukrainian refurbishment marks, and from my research, the scope appears to be Ukrainian?
There's no import marks or anything like what I've seen on other PU snipers on the forum, other than the German (Munich) proof marks dating to 2004.
It appears that there were once scope numbers on the left side of the receiver, which I assume is the reason for the grinding marks on the left side of the receiver in front of the mount?

Everything that I have researched looks good as an original sniper rifle, despite the reproduction scope. Can the experts voice their opinions, please?
I'll post some more pics in a second post...

Many thanks,

Simon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SimonUK

Re: My 1942 PU

Post by SimonUK »

More detailed pics...

Many thanks,

Simon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

I can't confirm it ever was a sniper or ex- sniper as the barrel shank pics are not clear enough, but the stock is chemically cleaned and sanded, the scope, mount, and base are reproductions, and the bolt looks "off"
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I agree. I don't think this was ever a sniper, but look exactly like the Molot "hunting rifles" they used to sell. Then when they stopped those, they started these PU snipers. Refinish on metal and stock is exactly like a Molot sniper.

If this ever was a sniper, it would only be the barrel and shank. The rest is so "refinished" you will never be able to tell much about it.

Darryl
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Was it bought in Germany and shipped here ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SimonUK

Post by SimonUK »

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay.

Many thanks for your answers. It does strike me as odd after having looked at the threads on this forum and on the m9130.info website, the markings on the rifle itself seem to suggest that it started out life as a sniper.
As for the re-finishing on the stock, that was in part mine and my dads doing. When my dad got it, it did have some of it's original shellac finish, but it was so worn and chipped it looked bloody awful... :oops: :whistle:
steelbuttplate wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:22 pm Was it bought in Germany and shipped here ?
My dad bought it from Arundel militaria here in the UK, which is a very reputable dealer over here. As he bought it in 2009 and the German proofs date to 2004, I assume Arundel imported it to the UK.

Best regards,

Simon