CMP M1 Phillipine Garand Video

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
locomotiveguy

CMP M1 Phillipine Garand Video

Post by locomotiveguy »

Goto CMP Garand Sales and see this video If I was smarter I could post a link. Boy they look rough.
ffuries

Re: CMP M1 Phillipine Garand Video

Post by ffuries »

locomotiveguy wrote:Goto CMP Garand Sales and see this video If I was smarter I could post a link. Boy they look rough.
This video? If so here you go......

http://thegca.org/the-cmp-and-the-philippine-garands/
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

I watched it and found it interesting when the GCA e-mailed it to members. Seems like the Turkish returns are what's being shipped out right now though. I'll be interested to see what the Phillipine returns look like when they start shipping.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

From what the CMP is saying there is nothing to differentiate the Tuskish returns versus the Philippine returns. I know it mainly refers to markings or documentation from the CMP, but I also took it to mean condition wise also. Otherwise one would be able to tell real quick.

Guess we'll see as the Philippine Garands start filtering out.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

ffuries wrote:From what the CMP is saying there is nothing to differentiate the Tuskish returns versus the Philippine returns. I know it mainly refers to markings or documentation from the CMP, but I also took it to mean condition wise also. Otherwise one would be able to tell real quick.

Guess we'll see as the Philippine Garands start filtering out.
There are still quite a few guys posting Turkish "dope" settings in their trigger housings and cleaning kit housings from what I've seen. It was seen a lot with the Danish returns from several years back. I'm curious if there will be something like that in the Phillipine returns? Time will tell. I know some guys on the CMP forum were talking about trying to see if the FOIA might help shed some light on future CMP Garand provenance. How one goes about finding that out is a totally different story though. :bwink:

If the South Korean Garands and Carbines ever make it back I'd be interested to see how they stack up with the Turkish and Phillipine rifles the CMP is selling.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

That Turkish dope will make you strut and crow like a banty rooster. It might make you see Bigfoot too. Leave it alone young men, save it for when you're old and dying. :oji:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

The Garand I recent received from the CMP was a Turkish return with the conversion chart in the trigger guard. I imagine most will be sent out with new CMP wood as mine was. It is a great shooting rifle. All parts date from the 50's.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

On the same site there is an in depth M1 Garand video by the Garand Collectors Association, DON'T WATCH IT IT'S MAKING ME BUY ANOTHER...HELP or not...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What's wrong with buying another? Garands are like potato chips, nobody eats just one if they can have a handful.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

My name is Loco and I have an addiction..
3kings

Post by 3kings »

Interesting to see this start shipping
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

My order for service grade was mailed 7/5 we will see what sprouts...
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

locomotiveguy wrote:My order for service grade was mailed 7/5 we will see what sprouts...
Are they still $750 , free shipping ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

yes same...
dou44

Post by dou44 »

I need one more
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

I ordered on 7/5 on 8/13 they gave me a number but not a hint of a shipping date. the last time I bought one about 8 years ago there was no big wait, now its 2 to 4 months. Usually looking forward to something is stimulating but this is torture.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:What's wrong with buying another? Garands are like potato chips, nobody eats just one if they can have a handful.
:mrgreen: They got .308's in stock now. :shifty:
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

A guy tried to sell me a 380 today, I liked it but it was another different cartridge do I really need another caliber, I got tons of 30 06 no 308s, I thought about that too they cost another c note but have walnut and new bbls.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

.380 hideout pistol, they have their uses. The common .308 Garand I am familiar with used the Navy chamber insert and plastic block in the clip well. This conversion was not optimal as the chamber insert could sometimes eject with the spent round. The other uses a purpose made barrel with a .308 chamber, block still needed for the clip well but this is not a problem. These are not military issue weapons but made by various outfits like Fulton Armory. I never saw the point, if I want a Garand type weapon that chambers 7.62x51mm I will use the M14.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

The ones the CMP is offering are USGI with new criterion barrels. I was just dreaming, probably not going to fork over $850 for one. I'm with you Dawg, it would be hard to beat the M1A.