Czech VZ-24...

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
awalker1829

Czech VZ-24...

Post by awalker1829 »

Went up to Phoenix this afternoon and picked this rifle up.

Overall condition appears to be good. Serial numbers on the bolt and receiver don’t match, but it passes the headspace check. Small CAI importer mark on the barrel. Paid $295 for it and an additional $105 for a couple of ammo boxes worth of surplus ammo. One 70 round bandolier of Turk ammo plus ten loose rounds, some Yugoslav heavy ball loose rounds and a hundred rounds of Greek ammo. The Turk ammo is 1949 on the headstamp and the Greek stuff looks like 1950s.

Cleaned the rifle up and oiled it. I’ll take it out tomorrow and sample the different cartridges to see if they go bang. The ammo looks clean-no visible signs of improper storage.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Czech VZ-24...

Post by millman »

You are gonna like that one. Mine seems to group the Yugo stuff a bit tighter, but high and left. The Turk shoots more to POA. That was a good price too. Mine was $225 about 8 years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is a gorgeous rifle. The VZ-24 is considered, by many, as the apex of the Mauser model. The price sounds really good as well. Congrats.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
dallased

Post by dallased »

If you can buy anything at a gunshow anymore for under $300 you should immediately run, don't walk, to the exit. The Rampant Lion crest VZ24 is not something you see everyday. I have one but the crest is in the white which is something that occurred somehow but there does not seem to be any definite explanation as to why some are in the white and some are still blued. Yours, as I understand it, is correct in that it is still blued. Very nice, enjoy it. By the way, if you happen to reload, do it for that. It will wring out the best in it.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Range report-went out on the 100 yard Range to test the surplus that came with it. Out of about fifty rounds shot, only one failed to ignite when struck by the firing pin. Had about ten that failed to ignite on the first strike but immediately ignited after the bolt was cocked and the cartridge rechambered.
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Mines a tack driver with handloads and looks similar to yours. It's uncommon to find one with a matching bolt. You got it at a great price too. Congrats!
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You're on a roll lately :)
Rowdy1

Post by Rowdy1 »

I don’t know where you live in Phoenix but every few months I checkout Legendary Guns off of 19th and Camelback and Bear Arms off of Shea and Scottsdale Rd. I bought a CZ 24 from them about 3 weeks ago and paid $229. Between the two I have bought Mosins, Arisaka’s, Gewehr 98, K98’s and a Springfield 1903.Prices have been good and they all shoot well after a good clean and lube. Where do you check?
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

I’m down in Tucson. I check out some of the local shops periodically. I do occasionally make it up to Phoenix when I’m not working-most of my trips up there are work trips.

I do reload 7.92x57, 8x50R, 7.62x45, 303 British and 30-06. I’ll probably fool around with decapping the Berdan primers-one more skill to develop and something to keep me occupied.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

awalker1829 wrote:I’m down in Tucson. I check out some of the local shops periodically. I do occasionally make it up to Phoenix when I’m not working-most of my trips up there are work trips.

I do reload 7.92x57, 8x50R, 7.62x45, 303 British and 30-06. I’ll probably fool around with decapping the Berdan primers-one more skill to develop and something to keep me occupied.
I think the problem is finding Berdan primers to reload with. They used to be available, but not so much anymore. http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/berdan ... sions.html
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Good point. More economic option would be to decap the cases and convert them to Boxer by drilling a new flash hole through the anvil. Should not be too hard with the machines I have access to.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

My Czech VZ-24 was my first milsurp. If I knew then where it would lead me I might be driving a Ferrari now.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Longcolt44 wrote:My Czech VZ-24 was my first milsurp. If I knew then where it would lead me I might be driving a Ferrari now.
All it takes is one to get you hooked.