First mosin 91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Jkanak

First mosin 91/30

Post by Jkanak »

Hello,

As the title says I am posting about my first mosin, it's an m 91/30 that is stamped 1943. In addition this is the first firearm I have ever owned, I've shot before but not extensively.

I have a couple of general questions, the first being what a decent range safe round would be. I didn't realize that there was any real variety in ammunition choices when I purchased the rifle.

The second question has to do with tools. What are some basic tools I should keep around?

I have always been a big fan of old military rifles but the mosin really stuck out to me as something worth owning!
ffuries

Re: First mosin 91/30

Post by ffuries »

First thing is a proper fitting screwdriver, so the screws don't get marred up. A commercial one piece cleaning rod is what a lot of people recommend also.

Ammo all ammo is pretty much range safe to a point. That said armour piercing rounds, tracer rounds would be no go on most ranges. Commercial ammo is non corrosive so easier clean up afterwards, versus military surplus ammo which is corrosive and requires additional steps in cleaning the rifle before leaving the range.

Make sure your bolt and chamber are cleaned very well of all traces of cosmoline. Failure to do so could lead to a case of sticky bolt syndrome.

Welcome to the madness, more members will chime in with more suggestions based on years of shooting these rifles. Said people also keep spare parts in their range bag, so they'll be able to help there also.

Oh and enjoy your time at the range with the old warhorse. Dinner calls me!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Congrats on buying a nice piece of history, that one was made when the Soviets had learned how to fight effectively and Nazi tide was turning.

Good luck on staying with just one, these are addicting. (I know, I am an addict) Do not be tempted to "improve" the rifle by changing the finish on the wood or polishing the metal. It will look just like it is supposed to and changing it will disrespect the history and drop the value of the rifle. We will be glad to answer questions that will arise.

You are going to need some good ear protection because these old rifles will rattle the timbers. Go out and enjoy your new rifle.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Jkanak

Post by Jkanak »

Thank you both for the replies!

I definitely plan on keeping it historically accurate out of interest and respect. I will definitely get a cleaning rod and some oil and I've got plenty of screwdrivers. The previous owner shot it but wasn't maintaining it because he didn't know better. There's not much cosmoline left thankfully!

I found a local ammo source so shooting will happen soon and I picked up ear and eye protection. I've heard that these have a decent amount of recoil. It doesn't scare me but I don't expect to be accurate for a while since I've only shot .22 and 410 before.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The rifle does have the thump of high powered military round. Pull it in tight, and it won't bite.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, Chapman gun screwdriver set, they are correct hollow ground and high quality USA made, worth the money. One piece cleaning rod, I use a Dewey coated rod, select the size appropriate for your barrel length. Tipton cleaning jag set to go with that rod.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

What the others said........and a crate of ammo. :thumbsup:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Welcome to the board, Chapman gun screwdriver set, they are correct hollow ground and high quality USA made, worth the money. One piece cleaning rod, I use a Dewey coated rod, select the size appropriate for your barrel length. Tipton cleaning jag set to go with that rod.
What Jim is saying here is, .... Don't use the stock cleaning rod to clean it. It's OK for looks, but it's hell on the bore.

Dolk
dou44

Post by dou44 »

get ready to spend money because you will want more,i started out buying any of them but now I collect the hex recievers .great rifle to shoot
ma96782

Post by ma96782 »

Don't be afraid of shooting the surplus corrosive ammo through it. Just clean your rifle after you're finished for the day. BTW, I don't do anything special after shooting it at the range. That being said, it won't hurt it if you're at the range and you pour some water through the bore and within the action. Of course, you've removed the wooden stock, rrright. Anyway, I usually wait until I get home to clean my rifle. LOL, for me the range is only like 1/2 an hour away. Truthfully though, I might not get to it until a few hours later.

So.....heat up your hot water kettle. Cut up an old t-shirt for cleaning patches and rags. Disassemble your rifle.

When the water is nice and hot, add a squirt of dishwashing soap to it (I use a knock off version of Dawn that I got that the Dollar Store). Having a pot full of the hot water solution deep enough to immerse your receiver will help. Place the small parts and disassembled bolt parts into the hot water to soak. Use an old toothbrush to scrub the small parts down. Stick one end of your rifle into the hot water solution. Wet your jag/patch. Then, pump the cleaning rod with the jag/wet patch through the bore. Suck up that soapy water several times and pass it all the way through the length of the barrel. Change out the patch several times watching it get cleaner and cleaner. Pass it all the way through, washing away the corrosive salts of the ammo. After several passes, you could also switch to your brass cleaning brush and also run it through the bore. Follow it up by more passes with the jag/wet patch. BTW, you could (if you wanted) start from either end. But, most people will say to only clean from the breech end. Whatever.

You could also clean it again. This time with Hoppes, if you wanted to get at the copper fouling. I don't usually bother to do it. Unless, I got more free time on my hands.

Dry it up and oil it, to prevent rust. The hot water actually helps with the drying of the metal parts. You could have used cold water instead of the hot water. But IMHO, hot water is better. After the parts are dried, I follow up with a bit of multiple purpose axle grease (to the high friction/camming surface areas) on my bolt (but, not on the bolt's lugs) and trigger/sear parts. Then, I wipe down the rest with syn motor oil, to keep the rust away. Even conventional motor oil (or other expensive firearms oil) could be used if you wanted to. Assemble it and wait for your next range trip. OK, Ok, ok.....you could/should also check the bore again in a few days to make sure you've not developed rust in your bore or anywhere else.

Aloha, Mark
Jkanak

Post by Jkanak »

Just an update:

I haven't had a chance to shoot it but I did get a proper cleaning rod and some Hoppes #9 cleaner and oil of the same brand. I sent some patches through and the bore was quite filthy. I got it cleared up though and also got some Sellier & Bellot soft points.

I am also prepared for the impending wave of mosin craving, I build rc planes and I know what happens when you buy "just one" lol. Luckily these don't take up too much space.
entropy

Post by entropy »

Hoppe's #9 is great for carbon residue, but it will not neutralize the corrosives left from the primers of corrosive ammo. I use Sweet's 7.62 solvent, though the hot water method described by ma96782 works best. I do that if I've shot Black Powder guns along with my Mosins.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Jkanak

Post by Jkanak »

That's good to know about the corrosive stuff!
Jkanak

Post by Jkanak »

Just an update, I put 40 rounds through it on Saturday and loved it as expected. I wasn't very accurate but I was impressed with the gun. Two things I'm doing are getting some stripper clips and a non permanent recoil pad. Shooting it for an hour left a pretty good bruise haha.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thughes

Post by thughes »

Jkanak wrote:Just an update, I put 40 rounds through it on Saturday and loved it as expected. I wasn't very accurate but I was impressed with the gun. Two things I'm doing are getting some stripper clips and a non permanent recoil pad. Shooting it for an hour left a pretty good bruise haha.
Don't waste your $ on stripper clips, the cheap ones suck and the OEM ones are usually only so-so. Don't bother with the rubber recoil pad that replaces the steel butt plate, they are typically hard as a rock and the cheap ones tend to smell really bad....the small size LimbSaver slip-on pad works really well (just don't leave it on when storing your rifle). Just my .02.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Beware stripper clips with tabs on the end. Also called thumb mutilators. You can Polish ones on Gunbroker., maybe E-bay....goode.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Jkanak

Post by Jkanak »

Okay, I will be cautious with the stripper clips. As for the recoil pad I'll check out the limbsaver and wear a jacket in the meantime. The recoil didn't bother me until after shooting, while at the range it seemed alright.
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

It's not the recoil itself that fatigues you, it's that steel butt plate cumulatively punching your shoulder. Shooting just a couple rounds is no problem, but it starts to hurt after a few dozen. I have a Limbsaver slip-on pad that does wonders. I can shoot all day long if I like and feel perfectly fine. The best part is that it doesn't damage or modify the rifle in any way and you can just slide it on and off whenever you like. It also gives the rifle a little more length of pull, which most shooters appreciate.

You probably won't like the accuracy with the bayonet not attached. Having it on or off makes a big difference in the point of bullet impact and the rifle was originally zeroed with the bayonet attached. It should still have that zero unless Bubba messed with the sights.

I bought some modern commercial stripper clips that seem to work fine. They have tall sides and little spring tabs to hold the cartridges in place. They're not of much use on the range, but they're nice if you use the military ammo pouches, like the "full experience" of how soldiers often would have loaded the gun in drills or combat, or ever anticipate needing to load your Mosin quickly for any reason. I store my Mosins with a couple stripper clips of ammo just in case of an emergency. I can quickly grab a gun, cram a clip into it, and go.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

If you will hold that rifle tight into your shoulder, it won't bruise you. When I first started this Mosin stuff, I had bruises aplenty and bought all of the pads I could find. I finally got tired of messing with them and just started shooting. It doesn't take long to figure out the proper hold. Become one with the rifle and kinda ride the recoil. You just need practice.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Jkanak

Post by Jkanak »

I'm getting a lot of helpful information which is great! Whether or not I get a limbsaver I will definitely work on my form. When I shot last week it was only the third time I'd ever shot a gun period so I definitely need to work on control.