Marlin 81 DL

Rim Fire Firearms
ksbanker

Marlin 81 DL

Post by ksbanker »

Picked up a really nice old Marlin 81 DL yesterday. The feed mechanism is really interesting! I took the bolt apart and I had no idea what I had gotten myself into. I'm used to military bolt action rifles that are designed to be able to be stripped in the field. This bolt took 4 hands and many cuss words to get back together.

Note to anyone who buys a Marlin 81...don't take apart the bolt unless you have to!! That little screw is really difficult to get back in!
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Marlin 81 DL

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
A1RADIOMAN

Post by A1RADIOMAN »

I have a marlin 81 nice shooter. Never had to take the bolt apart ,thanks for the tip.
“Only the dead have seen the end of war.” Plato
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I had a old tube feed Marlin that was rebadged as a JC Higgins sold by Sears years ago. The mechanism in the feed area was a ramp type assy that grabbed a 22 cartridge and raised it into alignment with the chamber them the bolt would grab the round and lock it up into position when closing the bolt. I gifted the rifle to a young adult son of a good friend last month. He was so happy to get it as he was a new shooter with his dad coaching him along.
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

Took the Marlin out this weekend and really enjoyed it! Shooting CCI standard velocity ammo it shoots lights out. This gun seems to have seen very little use over the last 50-60 years and is in great condition.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill