Unrealistic expectations

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
racerguy00

Unrealistic expectations

Post by racerguy00 »

I'm seeing more and more now to the hobby collectors complaining about their newly acquired refurb mosins. Yes I've heard most of the same complaints before. But now that prices are way up they are a lot less inclined to just take it as a learning experience showing research before buying pays off and instead go online and really go off on the sellers.

Latest cases I see today are people buying exdragoons for 300+ thinking they are dragoons and people paying nearly that for others like war time round receiver refurbs and finding out they aren't original matching or have "incorrect"arsenals' parts in them. Some complain when the don't get refunds and some even complain when they do.

Do your research before buying!!
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
SA1911a1

Re: Unrealistic expectations

Post by SA1911a1 »

The nation is built on complaints and complainers. Why, if the colonist didn't complain about King George we would all be speaking English today.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Remember, some people aren't happy if they aren't complaining! Then there are the people that want something for nothing! I could go on and on about this topic, but I won't drag out my :soapbox: or we'll be here all day or the moderators would lock the thread!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's hot, 90, maybe 91, it's humid, it's so humid Steve would feel right at home up here in New York today, did I mention how I hate heat and high humidity? I did three flea markets today in this shit, saw two people actually collapse in the heat and have to be taken away by ambulance. The crowds were maximum, jam packed at each flea market, I hate crowds. Everyone wanted $25 for .50 ammo cans, I hate paying that much for them, but one guy sold me two for $20 for the pair, him I liked. I had to wait on line to get into one flea market, I hate that, my feet hurt, my back hurts because I lugged so much shit out of there to the car. The AC died in the car on the way home when we were the most hot, I hate it when that happens. I will think of more stuff to bitch about later, one thing I don't bitch about is the guns, I am just glad I have them and I bought them all before the prices shot higher than the moon, 'cause I hate high prices on anything. I sucked down the two ice teas I brought along with me before I had been in the first flea market a half hour, I had to spend $22 on ice teas and water before the day was done. I should have brought the entire case of ice tea with me, it would have been piss warm in the car but that would still be better than having to pay for something I already have sitting at home, 'cause I hate that. Didn't have to visit the plastic pee palace even once all day despite the constant drinking, it was that hot.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I hate the plastic pee palaces... Especially when it's hot out. Especially at the end of the day when it's hot out.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Rongo wrote:I hate the plastic pee palaces... Especially when it's hot out. Especially at the end of the day when it's hot out.
OMG that is when they are down right nasty......Temp in Panama City Florida today was a high of 92 (At the house) with the humidity in the 80% range, and a cool 65 inside. Current temp at 1821 is 84 degrees with the humidity in the 70% range, with the inside temp still reading 65. This is the time year that I hibernate, and it's just gonna get hotter!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I especially love it when I step into that plastic pee palace and find myself standing in liquid. I stopped at a small farm market and loaded up on water and the best fresh made donuts in the area. I did that both going into and then out of one of the large flea markets. I had ice cream at the farm, real home made ice cream, I am not supposed to eat real ice cream made with sugar but screw it, I was fading fast and needed the lift.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

SA1911a1 wrote:The nation is built on complaints and complainers. Why, if the colonist didn't complain about King George we would all be speaking English today.
:lol: :chuckles:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
B24

Post by B24 »

After seeing the guy with no legs at Wall Mart today I have no complaints at all, I am truley blessed.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I especially love it when I step into that plastic pee palace and find myself standing in liquid. I stopped at a small farm market and loaded up on water and the best fresh made donuts in the area. I did that both going into and then out of one of the large flea markets. I had ice cream at the farm, real home made ice cream, I am not supposed to eat real ice cream made with sugar but screw it, I was fading fast and needed the lift.
We have an Amish grocery not too far from here. My daughter and I are regular Sat morning patrons for the doughnuts.
Who'da thunk the Amish would have Facebook?? https://www.facebook.com/pages/R-S-Salv ... 4052109248 The Amish folk apparently come in varying degrees. Some here won't use any modern thing, yet some have gas powered pumps for their wells, all the way up to they drive trucks, but paint over any sort of chrome with flat black roller paint. Seems to depend on the family or neighborhood.
BTW. sorry for the thread hijack. To the original point. Buyer beware. Do your research before you spend your money. We have all gotten eager and burned, and it was nobody's fault but ours.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

I know about unrealistic expectations quite well. I deal with them every day at the office. So far as antique firearms are concerned in general and military arms specifically, my observation is this: The technology of firearms began to advance quite quickly starting in the late 18th century and more so in the mid to late 19th century. The average time that a rifle design spent as a standard service issue weapon was cut to less than twenty years for many types starting about 1886. That meant that at least every twenty years (give or take), new rifles were going to the front line units. In uncertain times, it made sense to rearsenal service rifles being replaced and upgrade or downgrade them as appropriate. Hence infantry rifles being cut down to carbines, etc. So far as I'm concerned, mismatched military rifles that were used in a military conflict like the Great War or World War Two are "correct" as long as they're functional as that was what military necessity dictated. Make them, test them and get them to the troops. None of us expects to find an original Model 1886 Lebel rife-those that survived were all upgraded to the M93 standard. Same goes for many other rifles-that's what drives the prices on the market.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mennonites maybe Erik? I know some Mennonites will use modern technology, yet still dress or otherwise can be mistaken for Amish by the English.
Theodore Roosevelt
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

No wonder you and zeebill butt heads JYD, you seem to hate the same stuff, everything! :chuckles:
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I like lotsa stuff, chocolate, bacon, hamburgers, Model A Fords, anything gun, antique phonographs, tools, ice cream, pocket watches, ice tea, air conditioning, Model T Fords, Taco's, antiques of all sorts, national parks, cool fall weather, cigars, good books, spaghetti, electricity, the new booster packs that will spin over a Detroit Diesel when cold, cheese, cameras, steak, critters, other stuff.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Mennonites maybe Erik? I know some Mennonites will use modern technology, yet still dress or otherwise can be mistaken for Amish by the English.
That's probably it.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis

Post by WWW »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I like lotsa stuff, chocolate, bacon, hamburgers, Model A Fords, anything gun, antique phonographs, tools, ice cream, pocket watches, ice tea, air conditioning, Model T Fords, Taco's, antiques of all sorts, national parks, cool fall weather, cigars, good books, spaghetti, electricity, the new booster packs that will spin over a Detroit Diesel when cold, cheese, cameras, steak, critters, other stuff.
Sounds like the start of a new thread, or ten of them! Anything to keep JYD from complaining?

Maybe I should start a new thread called "JYD's antique thread". I've got a bunch of antiques. Anyone got a pic of him to start it off with? :chuckles:
Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
entropy

Post by entropy »

millman wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Mennonites maybe Erik? I know some Mennonites will use modern technology, yet still dress or otherwise can be mistaken for Amish by the English.
That's probably it.
And even by us Americans.....

I had a friend that was English (Northumbrian, from Newcastle) that referred to the "Aimish an' thar fookin' boogies" ..... :chuckles:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I like lotsa stuff, chocolate, bacon, hamburgers, Model A Fords, anything gun, antique phonographs, tools, ice cream, pocket watches, ice tea, air conditioning, Model T Fords, Taco's, antiques of all sorts, national parks, cool fall weather, cigars, good books, spaghetti, electricity, the new booster packs that will spin over a Detroit Diesel when cold, cheese, cameras, steak, critters, other stuff.
:spam2: ?????
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oh yea, I have ten cans of it right here with me now.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

WWW wrote:
Sounds like the start of a new thread, or ten of them! Anything to keep JYD from complaining?

Maybe I should start a new thread called "JYD's antique thread". I've got a bunch of antiques. Anyone got a pic of him to start it off with? :chuckles:
I would like to say goodbye to you all, but, ask and you shall receive.

https://www.funnypica.com/wp-content/up ... 40x140.jpg
Aut Pax Aut Bellum