1943 Mosin Nagant M44 Carbine rare or not?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
gchahalis

1943 Mosin Nagant M44 Carbine rare or not?

Post by gchahalis »

I just picked up a 1943 Mosin Nagant M44 Carbine and I was wondering, is this 1 of 50,000 that were used in WWII before it was officially produced in 1944? I'm a complete nubie to Mosins and would really appreciate any feedback on my rifle and if anyone knows what it's worth approx.? Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by gchahalis on Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Re: 1943 Mosin Nagant M44 Carbine rare or not?

Post by Miller Tyme »

Hard to find, yes, but rare, no.

Rare is such an overused word today

:soapbox:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Interesting, no powder proofs or accuracy OO stamps. It's rare all right . Don't sell it you'll never find another. SBP
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

'no powder proofs or accuracy OO stamps"

Can you elaborate?
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Sold a very nice one today at a show for $250, all matching with a counter bore and good remaining bore and a really nice pristine finish. I would say in the last ten years I have owned maybe a dozen of them. Almost all of them have been in nice shape and were good shooters. Welcome find at all times especially when it is apparent they had seen some action like the one I sold and were soviet refurbed with no forced matches which is somewhat unusual. Congrats on a nice find. Bill :D
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Rare if compared to the number produced in following years, but many of them made it over here I think because I remember at one time they were available at the place I bought my m44 from for a 50.00 premium. I bought mine for 99.99, and for 149.99 I could have got the 43 trials rifle. By the time I decided to order one they were gone, which is pretty much the norm nowadays. Gone - into collectors gun safes. They bring a premium because they are hard to find. Don't alter it for sure you will be sorry.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It is likely a 300.00 -400.00 plus gun. Zeebill made someone a deal at 250.00 if it was a 1943 date.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

To answer you question on the accuracy marks, they are concentric 00 or a zero within a zero stamped on the bbl. These indicate the degree of accuracy of the rifle. Yours is a recent import as indicated by the importer shown. You may find a large billboard etching under the handguard from a company, MOLOT.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :pointup:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
psmd

Post by psmd »

Enough of them have shown up here in the USA to cast doubt on the stated production number...
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Not rare, but not every Mosin Nagant collector will find one easily.

It's a very good cornerstone for building a collection. Stick around, and you might find that your M44 develops a few friends.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

bunkysdad wrote:It is likely a 300.00 -400.00 plus gun. Zeebill made someone a deal at 250.00 if it was a 1943 date.
He was pleased and he knew what he got. I am a collector and I sell for a very small amount above what I pay for things, that is the only way I can afford to buy pieces for my collection that I want to keep. It was a duplicate for me although it looked nice enough that I had to drag out the one I have kept and compare them. We sold 3 94/14 Swede carbines this weekend including one with a reissued brand new bayonet for $1,000 which is hard to beat these days. People must have all gotten their tax money back because I actually made some money this weekend after expenses not including my time that is, but then if I didn't enjoy it I would not do it. Saw a bunch of old friends and met several nice people. Best show in years and today I am paying the price as I hurt all over. Hadn't been for Joe and several other friends I never would have been able to do it. Joe got to shoot Machine Guns Sunday and I swear I could see his smile through the telephone that night. I will let him tell you about it but I know how much fun I had at Knob Creek and this was local so no long ride down and back! They plan to repeat it later this year again I believe. I will try and make that one! Thanks to all the friends who helped me out this weekend and tomorrow I head for the Orthopedic guy to see what they can do for the crutcher old guy here! Bill