1929 Poulustuslaitos M27

"Special", rarer, and "hard to find" Mosins

For your browsing pleasure.
Homer2

1929 Poulustuslaitos M27

Post by Homer2 »

I stumbled on this one about two and a half years ago by blind luck. There was a local store on the way home that I stopped at weekly, but never bought something from. They knew that I liked Mosins and was pretty knowledgeable about milsurps in general. On this particular day, the clerk comments to me that he needs a part for his Finn rifle that he picked up from a potential Bubba at a local show that I missed. Apparently this Bubba was planning a full sporter job, but was convinced to sell the rifle instead. So the clerk brings down this rifle from upstairs and I nearly lost feeling in my legs. Not only a very uncommon year, but Puolustuslaitos marked to boot! I told him that this rifle was special and I was very interested. Two weeks go by as I elicited info as to what he really wanted for it. Finally, I brought a nice IAI M1 carbine to the shop and suggested a trade. The carbine was rebuilt with a beautiful birch M2 stock and was a great shooter, and the clerk took it as a one for one trade. I think we both felt good about it.

So here it is for your consideration. 1929 M27. Apart from 1936 this is one of the lowest production years. This particular rifle was rebuilt with the popsicle stick front band. Bolt connector has wings, but does not match. I haven't shot this rifle, and probably won't as I have a really cherry M27 that is an awesome shooter.

The real kicker is that in 2009, at a show in Virginia, I found a 1932 M27 on the rack for a C note that also is a Puolustuslaitos marked rifle. Only one other collector has claimed ownership of a PL marked M27, which makes these two out of possibly three PL M27s in existence. Given that probably three to ten times the total import wind up with private shooters/bubbas as truck guns, there may be a few more out there. Keep your eyes open!

Discussion Section

Discussion Section