1895 Winchester in 7.62X54r, for MT

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

1895 Winchester in 7.62X54r, for MT

Post by Longcolt44 »

Miller Tyme stopped by the gun shop the other day while he was in town. As usual he tried to buy the 1895 Winchester that is hanging over my head every day at the gun shop I work at and also to check and see if I let anything slip thru my fingers and put on the shelves like I did the Romanian I did and he sniped from under my nose. I told him I had found one of the best videos on these rifles that I have seen and would post it. I will try and get a better picture of ours tomorrow. I think MT has a good one and it is welcome here too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 1895 Winchester in 7.62X54r, for MT

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They used them in the movie Rough Riders, of course they also used them in the real battle :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

There you go again Chuck , just teasing me with that 1895, ;mywink;

And yes I have some pic's of it :pointdown:

“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mauser sling lock is hanging on there, I went nuts trying to find my spare last month.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I told Richard, the owner of the gun shop that you were in again trying to buy it and he just grinned.
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

Love the video. I always like learning something new and interesting like this. Too bad his camera man is Darth Vader.
Pictures of the shop look very familiar. A great place, where all the collectors seem to meet.
Cat
bb91

Post by bb91 »

That poor thing looks rough!

Found one at a gun show last year for a friend of mine that had ask me to keep an eye out, seller was asking $1495.00 settled on $1200.00 OTD, I think he did well.
SDC10224.jpg
SDC10221.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup: Scw even
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

Woah, pretty expensive rifle hanging from a wire. I hope that hook is in a stud!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Gads the condition of that rifle for sale or not is for sure not a great advertisement for the Gun Shop! They could at least oil and dust the poor sucker once in awhile. JYD I think that sling swivel you are thinking is for a Mauser actually goes in the rear hole on the rifle although it looks greatly like a Mauser it is not. They are by the way like trying to find hens teeth because they are removable. Bill :o
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

Now that is just mean. Miller has been lusting after that rifle for years now. :devil2:
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

that rifle is sweet thanks for posting video super cool, and yes i thought i heard heavy breathing couldnt figure out darth vador was on the camera :chuckles:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

zeebill wrote:Gads the condition of that rifle for sale or not is for sure not a great advertisement for the Gun Shop! They could at least oil and dust the poor sucker once in awhile. JYD I think that sling swivel you are thinking is for a Mauser actually goes in the rear hole on the rifle although it looks greatly like a Mauser it is not. They are by the way like trying to find hens teeth because they are removable. Bill :o
Yea, it's the same stupid setup that Mauser used on the GEW98's. I was going to use it to mock up a beater sling to use when shooting the Turk/Czech 98/22, but I will just order another repop sling.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

JYD is that indeed the same size as the one made for the Winchester? I was told the shaft size was different on the Winchester piece? If indeed the same I have one of those out there in the shop somewhere myself. Like you of course I have no idea where it might be. Don't you just love the clutter you make when you get older. Which reminds me I must take down the old Christmas cards from last year and of course replace them with this years for another year. :? Bill :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I don't know if it's the same size or not, probably close, the one I have here someplace is actually off that Turk rifle, when it came in with it I took it off and stashed it away while wondering what in hell they expected me to do with that thing and no sling attached to it. I found a skinny leather commercial sling somebody gave me years ago that I think I can make work somehow. The lengths I will go to avoid paying for a new repop :) The regular Turk Pattern 1938 rifles are easier to deal with, most of the time I can fit a US M1907 sling to them, and a better sling is not to be found for any rifle, I only with they would fit the M39's.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

zeebill wrote:Gads the condition of that rifle for sale or not is for sure not a great advertisement for the Gun Shop! They could at least oil and dust the poor sucker once in awhile. JYD I think that sling swivel you are thinking is for a Mauser actually goes in the rear hole on the rifle although it looks greatly like a Mauser it is not. They are by the way like trying to find hens teeth because they are removable. Bill :o
That rifle has been hanging on the ceiling for about 20+ years. You just might have to change your shorts if you could see what else is hanging up there.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

What is the highest offer he has turned down on that Winchester?
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Longcolt44 wrote:
That rifle has been hanging on the ceiling for about 20+ years. You just might have to change your shorts if you could see what else is hanging up there.
i saw a few hash marks on the leg of one of the spiders in the photo. :chuckles:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

bunkysdad wrote:What is the highest offer he has turned down on that Winchester?
I don't know if he ever got a serious offer but MT and I discussed prices on them. It may be in the $3000.00 range but I have seen sales on them in the $4 to $5000.00 range. I was surprised by the video that said there were other calibers. The 7.62X54r were never issued in the US. The 1895's 's that went up the hill with Teddy were in 30-40 Krag.
gurn

Post by gurn »

Why does he just have them hanging there? Kind of sad actually.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!