Taking a poll!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
steelbuttplate

Re: Taking a poll!

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The Soviet bluing is sometimes black paint.
It varies some, I've got a black painted 1930 Ishevisk MO/ 53 that's in a almost flawless red stock that's truly beautiful, and a '25 Izhevsk non refurb that's solid but dog ugly. I think a real nice Polish M-44 is as fine looking a battle rifle as there is.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
mproko

Post by mproko »

An old timer at the local range often busts my chops that all I bring are ugly commie rifles. I smile, laugh and ask politely if I can shoot his smith corona. Lol. To each their own.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The old timer had to live with the threat of the USSR over his head for probably the entire cold war. At that time to those of us who were there these definitely were ugly commie rifles just like anything else that regime did. The USSR wasn't a chapter in a history book , a movie, or a video game back then, they were there in the flesh threatening our very existence every day in a way ISIS or that little fat fuck in the DPRK can only dream about. I will always relish the thought that the idea of me playing with their toys would have made Brezhnev's head explode. Today they are just historical relics and we can look at them without the Cold War looming over us, even the AK47 is just another rifle now, not the weapon of the invading communist forces ( Red Dawn 1984)

[bbvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/1_I4WgBfETc[/bbvideo]
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

NLMosin wrote::facepalm2: The MAS36, now thats and UGLY rifle...
They're all scratched up from being thrown on the ground.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Did China train hand to hand with the T-53's? Most look like they been thrown outa a moving vehicle.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Riva9999

Post by Riva9999 »

For me it was an acquired taste, mainly when I started finding really nice examples instead of ones that look like they got dragged in a tractor pull. Near perfect hex receivers, red letters, stocks that look like they are on fire when lit, finding straw in the stock of an un-refurbished one, mmm good times :thumbsup:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The problem is not one of ugly or pretty. The Mosin-Nagant rifle is obviously male, the Mauser is female. We should call the Mosin-Nagant handsome.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
jfrink23

Post by jfrink23 »

SA1911a1 wrote:The problem is not one of ugly or pretty. The Mosin-Nagant rifle is obviously male, the Mauser is female. We should call the Mosin-Nagant handsome.
Hahaha thats pretty funny! Never thought of it that way! :lol: :lol:
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote:The problem is not one of ugly or pretty. The Mosin-Nagant rifle is obviously male, the Mauser is female. We should call the Mosin-Nagant handsome.

So Mausers are females, they have elegant graceful lines so they are beautiful! Mosin Nagants are males, they have rugged and rough lines so they are handsome! Did I get that right, Steve?

Damn guess I going to have to rename my Mosin Nagants! I'll get with CINC Household to help with finding appropriate names for them.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

ffuries wrote:

So Mausers are females, they have elegant graceful lines so they are beautiful! Mosin Nagants are males, they have rugged and rough lines so they are handsome! Did I get that right, Steve?

Damn guess I going to have to rename my Mosin Nagants! I'll get with CINC Household to help with finding appropriate names for them.
Yep, and that hanging down magazine is a dead giveaway.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
sgtheindl

Post by sgtheindl »

I love the look of Mosins or really any wood covered milsurp. I get wide eyed every time one comes into my work and I end up leaving a trail of drool. My boss asks me all the time, "What the hell do you see in those things, stop buying milsurps." Jokes on him, that's all I buy!
I'm broke because I buy milsurps. I'm rich because I buy what I enjoy.
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

When I first saw a 91/30 in a Cabela's sales ad, I thought they might be junk because they were so cheap. I couldn't decide if I liked them. On one hand, they looked like cool, old guns. On the other, the forend looked too long and skinny. I eventually had to order one after Sandy Hook--there really wasn't much ammo around, and 54r was available. I'm pretty sure the rifle cost around $215 shipped at the time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Last edited by willyj73 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mosin Fanboy
jfrink23

Post by jfrink23 »

That's not too bad of a price! I just bought my first Mosin about 2 weeks ago now and paid $370 out the door came with all the accessories
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

willyj73 wrote:When I first saw a 91/30 in a Cabela's sales ad, I thought they must have been junk because they were so cheap. I couldn't decide if I liked them. On one hand, they looked like cool, old guns. On the other, the forend looked too long and skinny. I eventually had to order one after Sandy Hook--there really wasn't much ammo around, and 54r was available. I'm pretty sure the rifle cost around $215 shipped at the time.

Bought my first Mosin Nagants in March 2011 (Honestly didn't know what MN's were at the time, except I thought it looked ugly with the magazine).

The vendor at the gun show had a special deal going on. Buy one at $100.00 and get a second one at $100.00. Couldn't pass that deal up LOL, so I bought two of the greasiest rifles I had ever seen. Still have a grease stain on my cargo section carpet from them.

Now I have 4 ea M91/30's, 2 ea M91's, 1 ea M24/M91, 2 ea M44's and 1 ea Type 53 (Not to mention various Mausers, Arisakas, etc). The damn things are addictive that is for sure!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
jfrink23

Post by jfrink23 »

ffuries wrote:
willyj73 wrote:When I first saw a 91/30 in a Cabela's sales ad, I thought they must have been junk because they were so cheap. I couldn't decide if I liked them. On one hand, they looked like cool, old guns. On the other, the forend looked too long and skinny. I eventually had to order one after Sandy Hook--there really wasn't much ammo around, and 54r was available. I'm pretty sure the rifle cost around $215 shipped at the time.

Bought my first Mosin Nagants in March 2011 (Honestly didn't know what MN's were at the time, except I thought it looked ugly with the magazine).

The vendor at the gun show had a special deal going on. Buy one at $100.00 and get a second one at $100.00. Couldn't pass that deal up LOL, so I bought two of the greasiest rifles I had ever seen. Still have a grease stain on my cargo section carpet from them.

Now I have 4 ea M91/30's, 2 ea M91's, 1 ea M24/M91, 2 ea M44's and 1 ea Type 53 (Not to mention various Mausers, Arisakas, etc). The damn things are addictive that is for sure!
:o :D Nice collection! I am hoping to add many to mine I started out with a nicer Mosin as my first, a 1928 Izhevsk Hex Reciver all matching #'s and it decent shape, has an immaculate bore considering it to be 89 years old! Now just to find a big ol spam can of surplus ammo!! :spam2: :spam2:
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

I'll prefer the looks of just about any old military rifle with a wooden stock over the all black parkerized or camo covered sporter hunting rifles or tactical defense rifles at the sporting goods store today. Things like AR15s with their odd square angles and pieces jutting off everywhere put me off.

Beauty means a lot of different things. Something can be beautiful in its deadliness. Something can be beautiful in its organic makeup. Something can be beautiful for its proportions. Something can be beautiful for its significance and history. Something can be beautiful for its craftsmanship and quality. Something can be beautiful for the greater meaning it represents.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The AR is a product of it's times, the 1950's and 60's were an era when good taste was starting to rapidly decline in America. Designers of that time wanted to make everything out of metal and plastic, harsh angles on everything. Just look at the boxy shitbox's Detroit was putting out at that time, only the Chrysler products had any real style to them. This carried over into the design of everything.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt