My Saiga AK47 Conversion

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
NVMYZ28

My Saiga AK47 Conversion

Post by NVMYZ28 »

Picked up a used Saiga Izhmash AK47, and quickly decided I needed to convert it. This was a really fun project, glad I did it.

Before:
photo.JPG
After:
photo (1).JPG
Used a carolina shooting sports conversion kit, and a UTG quad rail. I'm pretty happy how it turned out, though I dont really care for the extra weight of the front rail so far.... didnt realize it would be so heavy.

I put 40 rounds through it before converting it.... cant wait to shoot it again! Gotta let my pain cure before I go and get it hot.

In the future I'll be adding:
Threading the barrel / adding a muzzle brake (AK74 style perhaps?)
Front grip bipod
Reflex red dot sight
Some sort of sling
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pacanis

Re: My Saiga AK47 Conversion

Post by pacanis »

Nice job. It looks good.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Awesome! This is the next project on my list after I finish my ar15 build. Don't quote me on this but I think the saiga's already have threaded barrels. There is some type of a cap over it. I think I remember that from some reasearch I did on them. Might be worth checking out. Awesome work on it!
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I can vouch for the shotguns coming with threaded barrels.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
NVMYZ28

Post by NVMYZ28 »

ponycarman wrote:Awesome! This is the next project on my list after I finish my ar15 build. Don't quote me on this but I think the saiga's already have threaded barrels. There is some type of a cap over it. I think I remember that from some reasearch I did on them. Might be worth checking out. Awesome work on it!

Hmmm Ill have to check it out. There is a "cap" type of cover in front of the front sight but I dont see an easy way to get it off.... I'll do some more research. I was under the impression I would need to cut this cover off and then thread the barrel. Thanks for the feedback!

Maybe its a shotgun only deal? Mines a 7.62x39
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

That's entirely possible, since your AK has the front sight out on the end of the muzzle. I'm not sure how that's held on. You are probably right. It's probably only the shotties.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I had one of the shottys and the cap was threaded on. Even can with the wrench to remove it if it was to hard to unscrew by hand. I thought I had seen on the saiga forums that the cap just needed to be cut off with a dremel or something and it was already threaded under it. I may be wrong though.

Edit: I think your right. The cap has to be cut off then threaded. Maybe it was another version I was thinking about. An older one or even the 5.45 version. I dont know. haha not the first time I was incorrect and Im sure it wont be the last. :D

Edit again haha: Looks like some had threads under the cap and some didnt. From what Ive seen it appears that rifles made after 2009 can have them and those made before dont. I guess its a toss up though. Could have that and it could not.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I have a 2011 Saiga in 7.62x39, did the conversion on it as well, I'm working on a step by step pictorial of the process but my time at the moment is spread way too thin to get much of anything accomplished! Mine is the military version, has the dimples and no chamber step, but I don't think it has the threaded muzzle either, it's the 16" barrel. I was going to cut it off and thread it, but it's at the point where it's heavy enough, right at 10 lbs with a full 30 round magazine in it. I used the CSS kit as well, along with their bullet guide so that I could use the AK mags. I went with the Tapco Intrafuse handguard, I like it well enough, didn't see a need for the quad rail and kinda felt like it was turning into a money pit real fast, lol. I got lucky and got in just under the price jump at Classic Arms, went from $319 to $349 less than three days after I ordered mine.
mosinjunkie

Post by mosinjunkie »

ponycarman wrote:Awesome! This is the next project on my list after I finish my ar15 build. Don't quote me on this but I think the saiga's already have threaded barrels. There is some type of a cap over it. I think I remember that from some reasearch I did on them. Might be worth checking out. Awesome work on it!
Some of the Saigas have threaded barrels. Some don't. The "cap" over the end of the barrel is part of the front sight block. It can be removed with a pipe cutter or a dremel tool, but whether the barrel is threaded or not is a gamble. It's been discussed at length at the Saiga forum.

Cool rifles can be made from the basic Saiga. Mine:

[album]110[/album]
The gun control nuts are talking to your lawmakers! AS A GUN OWNER, YOU SHOULD BE TOO!
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Thats a nice looking rifle! Thats close to how I want mine to look once I get to buy one haha.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Piwo

Post by Piwo »

Nice looking setups guys. :vcool: I am ordering a conversion kit for my Saiga12 this week from CSS as well. Moving the trigger group forward, pistol grip and collapsible stock. I'll add a few more American made items to come well within the 922r code.

I'm also looking for a Gunsmith that can work up a 6"-8" threaded barrel extension (threaded to attach to barrel and threaded to accept standard chokes) to add more barrel length, for a "coyote" shotgun on lands here that are "shotgun only". If you've any recommendations, please pass along....That way with one addition I can turn a tactical shotgun into a practical field tool. And that would be nice! 8-)
So how many Divisions does this Pope have? - Josef Stalin

Be yourself: everyone else is already taken...........
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Slick idea. Something like an external full choke might work.
I like it!
And those Federal Flite Control shells keep one tight pattern.
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Slick idea. Something like an external full choke might work.
I like it!
And those Federal Flite Control shells keep one tight pattern.
daubie3

Post by daubie3 »

Looks nice.
New to the forum.
dansammo.us

Post by dansammo.us »

NVMYZ28 wrote:
Used a carolina shooting sports conversion kit, and a UTG quad rail. I'm pretty happy how it turned out, though I dont really care for the extra weight of the front rail so far.... didnt realize it would be so heavy.
I hear ya, when I converted mine I bought a Midwest Industries rail. It turned into my heaviest gun without anything on it; no optics, sling, etc.

I went with the standard Arsenal handguard and I'm very happy with it. I seem to be able to bump fire with the plastic stock a bit easier now 8-)
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

My 7.62x39 tips the scale at a tad over 10 pounds with a full 30 round steel mag in it.