Mosin 91/30 hex receiver

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
armed_wing

Mosin 91/30 hex receiver

Post by armed_wing »

Hi I m new to the Mosins because i collect usual german stuff. Maybe someone can enlight me about his history.
It's an early receiver with late barrel and SA stamp from capturing. Maybe these reworked the barrel? The frontsight is very high i noticed. The rifle is untouched and fullof grease like it was sold (deactivated) at the beginn of 1970s.
Some stuff is matching or renumbered, other have no number.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ssg_lord

Re: Mosin 91/30 hex receiver

Post by ssg_lord »

Your Mosin is one of the roughly 13,000 M91/30's assembled by Finland using new production barrels made by Tikka and a combination of new parts and reused parts from unserviceable Mosin's. These are often called the M30 in Finnish service. The barrels themselves were made in 1943 and 1944 but many weren't assembled into complete rifles until after WW2. The SA stamp is a Finnish Army property stamp that doesn't have anything to do with a rifles capture status. The front sight you mentioned is a early Soviet M91/30 blade front sight that was repurposed for use on that rifle. The Finn's preferred the blade front sight and I've seen other Finn's Mosin's with sights like that, I think I own one or two actually. Off to the gunroom to check...😎
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

If you use a bronze brush and oil, that rust will come off of there and not hurt the bluing that is left. Cool rifle.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool: If it's like mine then it will be a treat to shoot on the range, tight groups.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Was the rifle deactivated as in unable to be shot? Or just released from military stores for.expoet? That confused me a little.

Nice mosin
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
armed_wing

Post by armed_wing »

Thanks for the Input 👍

In a land with much restrictions need all be destroyed ☹️

So a not so common Mosin, right?

The strap with brass parts is old russia or finland?

Was the barrel 7,62x53 thenn?
Last edited by armed_wing on Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
armed_wing

Post by armed_wing »

Anyone? 😅😉