Remington Rand with Grandpa's WW2 Grips

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
etprescottazusa91

Remington Rand with Grandpa's WW2 Grips

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

I inherited my grandfathers WW2 1911 grips. These were on his WWII Remington Rand 1911, the grips are carved off the plexi from the windshield on a German aircraft. I've read GI's put photos under clear grips such as these, not sure if mine ever wore pictures?

After a lifetime of these always being out of reach I finally committed to finding a Remington Rand 1911. Last weekend at a local gun show found one in decent shape and made a deal for it.

This example had target sights installed as well as a target trigger, all restorable to original. My heart broke when I pulled the packmayer grip and saw what it was hiding. I never expected to see this kind of customization but will have to live with it.

Even though Bubba the match shooter has broke my heart, it was a wonderful feeling being the first person to hold these grips on a 1911 since WW2.
IMG_4004.jpg
IMG_3950.jpg
IMG_4003.jpg
IMG_3958.jpg
IMG_3955 (1).jpg
IMG_4005.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
RazorBurn

Re: Remington Rand with Grandpa's WW2 Grips

Post by RazorBurn »

That's awesome getting to put your Grandfather's grips on a proper USGI 1911!!! I'd say if you could find some old pictures of his putting them under the grips would do it justice!
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

RazorBurn wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:28 pm That's awesome getting to put your Grandfather's grips on a proper USGI 1911!!! I'd say if you could find some old pictures of his putting them under the grips would do it justice!
I actually went through the old pictures and the wartime box looking for any pictures that may have been cut to fit under a grip, so far none found, I hope one turns up that looks like it may have been under those grips. Otherwise I intend to copy a couple of old photos and place them under the clear grips soon.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933