My first 1903 Springfield (I've wanted one for 20 years)

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
AchNgnt

My first 1903 Springfield (I've wanted one for 20 years)

Post by AchNgnt »

Hi everyone. First post in about 13 years here. This forum really set an expectation in my mind to keep as many original milsurps in their original condition which I greatly appreciate now that I am 15 years older!

Below is a 1935 SA 1903 that shoots amazingly well. It was rebarreled in 1942, and I'm sure it was taken apart many times but the stock, laser etching on the bolt, and receiver all match.

My only issue is that it shoots a legitimate 18" high at 150y. Even at 50y it is shooting about 6" high. Any tips?
1903.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My first 1903 Springfield (I've wanted one for 20 years)

Post by millman »

Looks good!
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

150 yards for a full power .30 military cartridge is like using a super car to go down the drive to fetch the mail. These rifles were designed to reach out and touch things at 250-300 yards or longer. Use the six O'clock hold on the target, or aim for the belt to hit the chest. You could swap out the sight blade for a taller one if you could find one, but I never bothered with that. I shot a lot of rounds with the M1903, and M1903-A3 as I amassed a collection of these rifles back in the day. I remember guys gluing thin metal shims to the blade, they always fell off eventually. Nice find :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup: 2 posts in 13 years? You post like I work, slowly
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Those rifles are beautiful.

Darryl
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Like they said. 6 o'clock hold, but make sure your rear sight is in the lowest setting.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I do not own a 1903 Springfield, so not in a position to provide first hand advice. However, I have a friend and former coworker who owns several 03 and 03A3 rifles who advises you can buy higher front sights for this condition. You might look at Numrich Gunparts Corporation.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Beautiful 1903, really nice. They sure photograph better in natural light. Question, what ammo are you firing, M2 ball?
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
AchNgnt

Post by AchNgnt »

IMG_0275.jpeg
I had a buddy record a video of me shooting it and this is the best I can do. The red line is where I’m aiming (notch rear sight at lowest setting) and I’m impacting the red dot.(You can see the grey impact markings slightly next to the red dot) It’s almost 3 feet at that distance. When I aimed at the belt buckle it almost went over my berm.

Still fun though. :mrgreen:

I found this on Numerich, it looks much taller but does not say anything about the height. Wonder if I should give it a try?

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/524900
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

For $5 yeah, I'd try it. If it is too tall you can file it down to the correct height.

C. S. Lewis
AchNgnt

Post by AchNgnt »

Thanks for all the help everyone. Will report back.

I do love this rifle. The bolt is so smooth compared to a Mosin, but Mosin's still have a special place in the collection :)

Side note - I haven't really shopped for milsurps in a while. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE PRICES? I have an Ishevsk 1944 all matching M44 with laminated stock I paid $40.00 for from a pawn shop in 2006 or so. Now that's what? $450 or something?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

AchNgnt wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:40 am Thanks for all the help everyone. Will report back.

I do love this rifle. The bolt is so smooth compared to a Mosin, but Mosin's still have a special place in the collection :)

Side note - I haven't really shopped for milsurps in a while. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE PRICES? I have an Ishevsk 1944 all matching M44 with laminated stock I paid $40.00 for from a pawn shop in 2006 or so. Now that's what? $450 or something?
Inflation, lack of available cheap imports, increasing numbers of new collectors wanting milsurps who will pay the higher prices. War between Russia and Ukraine pretty much cuts off any possibility of more Mosins and other Soviet WW2 surplus anything coming out of either country. In some cases it looks like they are both arming themselves with these ancient weapons once again. Finland has sent us the bulk of their surplus, in fact they did that over 35 years ago. It's unlikely that there are any more big hoards of bolt action military surplus rifles out there waiting to be brought in that would drive down prices on some types of rifles for a short time.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt