Early flat latch Smith and Wesson model 34

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
etprescottazusa91

Early flat latch Smith and Wesson model 34

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

This one is a favorite shooter now. 1959 production model 34 22/32 Kit Gun. Smith and Wesson was saying that this was a .22LR on a .32 caliber frame. A kit gun was meant to be included in a camping kit, why they named it the .22/.32 Kit Gun. The flat latch was eliminated in 1963. The flat latch was intended to help with the revolvers latch not taking a chunk out of the users thumb when firing. On the small J frame .38 specials this was actually a useful feature.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Early flat latch Smith and Wesson model 34

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

That's a beauty of a revolver. I love the old S&W guns. Some of the earlier ones from the 50's may have been on the older I-frame which was also a frame they used for .32 caliber guns. Later guns from the 60's and 70's were on the newer J-frame like the S&W Model 31 in .32 S&W Long you see here. You would have to research the serial number in a S&W catalog or reference book to be sure. In any case, the condition of your revolver makes it somewhat desirable and would probably sell in the $700-850 price range. Nice find. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
etprescottazusa91

tjtM38 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:22 pm That's a beauty of a revolver. I love the old S&W guns. Some of the earlier ones from the 50's may have been on the older I-frame which was also a frame they used for .32 caliber guns. Later guns from the 60's and 70's were on the newer J-frame like the S&W Model 31 in .32 S&W Long you see here. You would have to research the serial number in a S&W catalog or reference book to be sure. In any case, the condition of your revolver makes it somewhat desirable and would probably sell in the $700-850 price range. Nice find. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The model 31 is amazing, with the original box even.Thais something a person doesn't see often, nice!

Production was between 1972 and 1976 according to the serial number range on that one. :thumbsup:

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I think that I have seen an uptick in general interest in vintage revolvers lately. Ten years ago, they were really inexpensive in pawn and gun shops everwhere. Back then I became interested in older top-breaks. I have since given or traded all of my topbreaks to my son. I still like my swing-out cylinder revolvers and have a small collection of them.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
etprescottazusa91

SA1911a1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:54 am I think that I have seen an uptick in general interest in vintage revolvers lately. Ten years ago, they were really inexpensive in pawn and gun shops everwhere. Back then I became interested in older top-breaks. I have since given or traded all of my topbreaks to my son. I still like my swing-out cylinder revolvers and have a small collection of them.
This was an acquisition in 2024. The new price reality of today's marketplace has really slowed down adding anything. The early model 34 is actually in better condition than the photo's let on, the finish is almost perfect minus some holster ware on the muzzle. I am a fan of the .22 and the cost of firing one so could justify a "new" flat latch. I was out the door for just under $700.00.

Adolph Hitler – 1933
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt