Need some help with a poor Mosin

Modern rifles and Sportsters are discussed here.

Sportsters:
We don't advocate making Sportsters from military surplus rifles. We do recognize the ones already made in years past as pieces of history and of importance (such as the Bannerman, Blindee and old custom sportsters). If you bought one, you may show it here. Discussion of how to do this kind of work is not allowed. It is contrary to our over all forum values. So please don't abuse this forum. All final decisions will be made by the Administrators and no one else please. Non permanent alterations may be shown here but keep in mind, if it is in conflict with the "spirit" of these forums, we may remove it at our discretion.
TheOnePristineMonk

Need some help with a poor Mosin

Post by TheOnePristineMonk »

Hey everyone, I own two Mosin's. I'm not a gun collector by any means but I am keeping one of them in original condition to take out in the field and shoot from time to time and the other one came to me with a lopped off barrel and drilled and tapped already (for free). I'm looking to restore some of the parts on it but otherwise keep it "sportified". Basically, I want to fill in the tapped holes above the chamber and re-blue different parts. Any ideas on a good way to fill these, other than welding? Again, this one doesn't need to be perfect but I want it to look nice. It is going to be my "bush gun" seeing as it is already shortened.

Side note, I'm going to purchase a second bent bolt for the Mosin, instead of this hack job kit the guy put on there. Yes I will be using a rear site scope rail as well.

Second question, I sanded down the stock because it was beat to shit and re-stained it. Any good ideas on what I should seal it with?

Third question, for those of you who do use rails on your Mosin, what scope do you use? I have a Vortex on my original Mosin which, works great, but I need more of scout scope for the bastardized one.

Thanks for any help in advance!
SA1911a1

Re: Need some help with a poor Mosin

Post by SA1911a1 »

I don't think that anyone here has the experience to be able to offer you help on your project.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

If the barrel is hacked off then what you do to it will never be correct so,......

Do as you wish to it. zero collectable factor. Only thing it can be now is a trunk gun or sportster.

Darryl
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

You can find threaded blanks to go in those screw holes, and Tung oil is a good gun finish. Keep the intact one original.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
TommyFdUP

Post by TommyFdUP »

I just threaded the ATI kit screws into the holes till flush. Then lopped the tops off and sanded them smooth and reblued the entire gun afterwards. And found that the rear site scope mounts hold true the best! Good luck with the hackjob should shoot fine still. Love my Mosin sbr for deer in the river valley.
SteelBP

Post by SteelBP »

TommyFdUP wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:13 pm I just threaded the ATI kit screws into the holes till flush. Then lopped the tops off and sanded them smooth and reblued the entire gun afterwards. And found that the rear site scope mounts hold true the best! Good luck with the hackjob should shoot fine still. Love my Mosin sbr for deer in the river valley.
I think my hunting rounds are 165 S&B. What do you hunt with ?
kenbow

Post by kenbow »

The 165 grn. should be fine, shot placement is the key here. If you handload you can experiment for the most accurate load for your rifle. Just shoot it and become at ease with it and where it shoots at different ranges. Does it group well? ifso just practice and become a good shot with it. locktite scope screws. Enjoy your Mosin.
“A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. The ethics of sportsmanship is not a fixed code, but must be formulated by the individual, with no referee but the Almighty.” Aldo Leupold