Question about this Type 53 Mosin I just got off.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Generalludd

Question about this Type 53 Mosin I just got off.

Post by Generalludd »

Just picked up my first Mosin, it’s a 1960s Arsenal 26 type 53. I was told it was a Vietnam bring back (no papers) because there isn’t an import mark. Serial numbers don’t match. My question is mainly about the lack of cross bolt or sling holes on the stock. Just wondering how uncommon that is or if it helps or hurts it’s case for being a Vietnam bring back. Don’t really know much about Mosins.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SA1911a1

Re: Question about this Type 53 Mosin I just got off.

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is a nice way to begin an addiction! Congrats! Can you show us the import markings?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Generalludd

Post by Generalludd »

There aren’t any import markings that I know of, that’s why the guy who I got it from said it was a bring back from Vietnam.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Generalludd wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:57 am There aren’t any import markings that I know of, that’s why the guy who I got it from said it was a bring back from Vietnam.
That stock has been replaced. A VC carbine stock would be oily, dark and rough with possible spots of jungle rot, and would have holes for dog collars.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Stock looks exactly like those I've seen on a few other Vietnam bringbacks. Nice carbine!
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

racerguy00 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:34 pm Stock looks exactly like those I've seen on a few other Vietnam bringbacks. Nice carbine!
Did North Vietnam make replacement stocks for T-53's to replace rot and damage ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:27 am
racerguy00 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:34 pm Stock looks exactly like those I've seen on a few other Vietnam bringbacks. Nice carbine!
Did North Vietnam make replacement stocks for T-53's to replace rot and damage ?
Not that I am aware of but, if your were in Vietnam when the rifle came in and grabbed, it would look like that. Before it was handled and "drug through the jungle".
Not common.

Darryl
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Where did the stock come from ? Every picture of every T 53 googled has the sling holes . And there is no cross bolt.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:17 pm Where did the stock come from ? Every picture of every T 53 googled has the sling holes . And there is no cross bolt.
Good question..... The only stock I've seen without the cross bolt and with no sling slots was an early M91....
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

ffuries wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:18 pm
steelbuttplate wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:17 pm Where did the stock come from ? Every picture of every T 53 googled has the sling holes . And there is no cross bolt.
Good question..... The only stock I've seen without the cross bolt and with no sling slots was an early M91....
If thats not a NVA stock then where, the US ? It's not standard Chinese. Any markings on the stock ? looked inside ? The stock don't match the rifle condition either, you can see the rifle is worn, been pitted, buffed and blued.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

The stocks I've seen like that have always been attributed to the VC in "jungle workshops". Not sure how accurate that is but similar stocks have been posted on French MAS36 and other confirmed Vietnam bringbacks. I'll looks for pics of other t53s like this one. I have them saved somewhere. One was on a presentation plaque.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Found a couple of photos of t53 bringbacks with similar stocks but not sure where I saw these.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Wow, it's cool to see the inconsistencies in the hump in the stock right before the rear barrel band.

Plus I learned something today, that these stocks are out of Vietnam. Now I have something else to look for at gunshows.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

T53's were generally made from "chu" wood for the jungle environment. There are a few in Mosin stocks that came with the machinery when Russia gave it all to the Chinese.
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

Beautiful rifle, thanks for sharing!