Ok, who did this? T53

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Jomo

Ok, who did this? T53

Post by Jomo »

Came across a very nice 1955 t53 mosin. Kind of an odd one. All the numbers match including the questionable bolt. I have seen some pictures of serial numbers located on the flat part of the bolt bud only in pictures. Mostly finn capture Mosins. This t53 mosin appears to be made from a ex sniper rifle?? Please let me know what y'all think. Who would repair a sniper to male a mosin carbine? It is imported thru navy arms.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Ok, who did this? T53

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Pictures?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

F446BAB5-AA2F-4144-B109-E1F613653E58.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I see nothing that shows it's a T53 in these photos.

Looks like a refurbished ex-sniper Russian rifle.

Need to see the top of the barrel shank and any import mark and at least the "entire rifle in one photo".

Darryl
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

Hello, still trying to figure out how to put pictures on here. Navy arms import from China.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

3730D489-23CC-484A-AF9E-49DD45E5177D.jpeg
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Possibly another Balkans war rifle refurbished in Albania? The last batch of these to come in some years back now contained many rifles with interesting repairs both done by the users in the 90's Balkan war and before that by Albania for issue to their own military.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Pull the action out of the wood, flip it over and look at the rear tank portion of the receiver where the action screw goes through it. There may be a date and arsenal stamp here. If the typical Chinese markings are scrubbed from the barrel then maybe they were never there to start with if an older barreled receiver was recycled for this M44
Theodore Roosevelt
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

Hello and thanks for the info. The tang has been scrubbed. Other then the obvious bolt everything seems original. Could the bolt possibly be original to the rifle?
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

While not always the case the following is the accepted way to tell if matching or forced matched.

Barrel shank, magazine floor plate, bolt, and buttplate if matching would have the complete serial number and in the same font. If so it's matching, if not it's forced matched, if any of those parts are missing the SN its been scrubbed and not renumbered therefore none matching.

If this bolt is straight and the receiver was recycled from a sniper rifle, then chances are the bolt was forced matched.

This link to the page of the knowledge base talks about force matching.

https://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/app.php/page/56
Last edited by ffuries on Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

Hello, thank you for your service. It is a bent bolt. I'm still trying to post pictures. Computers and the web passed me up long ago.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Jomo wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:58 pm Hello, thank you for your service. It is a bent bolt. I'm still trying to post pictures. Computers and the web passed me up long ago.
Thank you it was an honor and privilege to serve. I was modifying my post when you replied, so the information is a bit different then when you read it.

The font of the SN is going to be the deciding factor. If you post pictures of the 4 SN parts we can tell you. If you're having problems posting pics, email me at ffuries@comcast.net and I'll post them for you.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

Sent some pictures to your email. I can send more if needed
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Loading pics for the OP as he had some issues.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Serial numbered parts rotated and cropped.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

I'll see what the smart people say, but the fonts don't appear to match. But I don't know if this applies to Chinese rifles or not. Magazine floor plate and buttplate fonts match each other, but don't match the bolt and barrel as the fonts appear to be different. At least to me they don't match. 2 of the SNs have open top fours and the other 2 don't. Plus some of the other numbers look different to me.

Plus I don't know if the Chinese dated their receiver tang. So the questions are....

Is the receiver a Chinese made one or a recycled Soviet one?

Did Bubba scope the rifle?

Bubba likes scopes and thinks everything that goes bang should have one. Doesn't appear to be a shortened M91/30 stock, so a purpose made carbine stock. Bolt handle looks like its been welded to the body as it looks chewed up and lumpy there.

I don't think in my limited knowledge that the Chinese or Russian carbines were snipered. I'm leaning towards Bubba......IMHO! But I could be wrong!
Last edited by ffuries on Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Jomo wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:26 pm Sent some pictures to your email. I can send more if needed
Pictures posted...
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

"... Bubba......IMHO!"

:pointup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

OK, it's a T53 barrel
Looks like a Russian stock, not Chinese.
Russians never stamped their serial numbers on the side of the bolt like that. It is on the side that the handle is on.
Don't know what to say about that one. It is mismatched for sure.
Darryl
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I'm guessing the Chinese had Soviet PU sniper rifles ? He said the tang had been scrubbed, makes me think the Chinese recycled a PU receiver. I don't have a T-53 anymore, weren't they all low wall receivers ? Maybe it got some bad muzzle damage and they made a carbine out of it.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"