Old coal scoop

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
steelbuttplate

Old coal scoop

Post by steelbuttplate »

My Grandpa worked in a Kentucky coal mine in 1927-28. I believe this his old scoop, it's been around forever, it looked just like this in the 60's, it was old then. One of you guys might know something about old tools.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Old coal scoop

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

At one time every house in America that burned coal for heat had shovels like that for moving coal from the bin into the boilers firebox. Right age for the 1920's, I would have bought that had I seen it at the estate sale. Also good for grain, sand, salt, and so on.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Re: Old coal scoop

Post by awalker1829 »

I’m no stranger to coal scoops myself. That’s a short handled one-we used long handled ones on the railroad. Every fireman had his own personal scoop too. You never used someone else’s scoop without permission and if you did borrow someone’s scoop, you made sure not to blunt the edges.