New to Mosins, Considering Izhevsk PU Sniper Purchase

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
m91curious

New to Mosins, Considering Izhevsk PU Sniper Purchase

Post by m91curious »

Hello all - first post here - My firearms niche is 1920s-1950s rifles. I'm looking at adding a Mosin PU sniper to my collection.

I've got a lead on an Izhevsk 1944 post-war rebuild. Matching except for the floorplate, and looks authentic in terms of the things I know to look for. . .though shadows in the pictures I received via text obscure some interesting details like the proofs, the stock sling liner, etc.

The seller claims the bore is minty. . .which is great since I'd want a shooter.

Pics suggest that the rifle is overall in very good to excellent shape. He's asking 1400. Does anyone have thoughts on a price that would be appropriate for this rifle assuming it's authentic? I see PU snipers on gunbroker for more than is being asked, but there also tends to be a good bit of insanity there.

Thanks very much.
qz2026

Re: New to Mosins, Considering Izhevsk PU Sniper Purchase

Post by qz2026 »

There are lots of bubba's around and a lot of arsenal made refurbed snipers. It might be best to forward the pictures of this gun to this forum so the experts can look at it. I can't stress how important it is, especially with a sniper, to get multiple opinions before shelling out this kind of money.
ssg_lord

Post by ssg_lord »

The PU sniper rifle market is a minefield of ex-sniper/re-snipers, mis represented reproductions and outright fakes with legit examples mixed in. If you don't know what to look for you can get skunked easily. I would hold off on buying until you know what to look for, the tell tales of a legit PU are available on most of the Mosin related forums for free with a little searching and reading. As said above, if you post the sellers pictures here, you'll get an answer quickly I'd imagine. I'd be cautious using Gunbroker as a guide, a significant percentage of the legit PU snipers sold on that site are nothing of the sort. A rather obvious repro/fake PU just sold for 3500$
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Read out "RMNF Knoledge Base" above. It will "help". But you should get an opinion from and expert on PU Sniper rifles when buying. Not jhust a "Mosin expert". There are things that will bring an instant "authentic" confirmation. but if you don't know them, you could get skunked.

Darryl