Flat finish on '97 Tula stock

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
icarus

Flat finish on '97 Tula stock

Post by icarus »

I am not as hard core a collector of Mosins as most of you, but a few years back I had the opportunity to pick up a pair. One was a sporterized rifle (not cut down) and the other, an intact Imperial Tula 1897. I have hunted deer with the modded gun and left the traditionally configured rifle in the safe. It has the hex receiver, matching barrel shank and bolt numbers, two SA stamps, no import marks, the Konovalov sights w/arshin markings on the left side and Finnish/metric on the right, sling swivels but no sling, no bayonet, counter bored, decent rifling, barleycorn front sight, late M91 type 4 barrel bands, and rounded Finn finger jointing on fore stock.
What I have noticed in other Mosins is a sheen on the stock. Almost all have a shellac or varnish type appearance to me. My wood looks stained but not sealed w/ any protective coating. The best way I can describe it is a flat finish w/a raw wood feel to it. Is this original or most likely because a previous owner stripped the original finish and just stained it?
I appreciate the information found here and hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

ssg_lord

Re: Flat finish on '97 Tula stock

Post by ssg_lord »

Looks like a fairly typical Finnish made replacement stock for a M91. Some late war or post war Finnish stocks do have a rather dry feel to them, but they actually do have a finish in the wood. You see these mostly on M91's and M39's. I'd leave it as it is.
icarus

Post by icarus »

I'll do that. Your advice confirms the "less is more" axiom re modifying any original condition rifle. I just haven't seen many examples w/out the "sealed" look I mentioned. I'm going to sell the rifle and wanted to make it as desirable as possible. So no tweaking is the way to go. I will leave it to the buyer to do that if he wants.
Thanks.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Good idea. These Finn stocks like this are spectacular
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Don't mess with the finish!

Here is a Finn Tikka M39 in a "dry looking" stock.
Mess with this stock and this rifle would plummet $500!
Darryl
Click on images for larger view.
M39_tika_butt_right.jpg
Tikka_B.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
icarus

Post by icarus »

I'm glad you posted that M39. Maybe the "dry" look is more common than I thought. I guess I overlooked them.
I feel better about what I have now. Until this feedback, I felt the finish was not quite right.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

It is right, I have several that look just like it. It is good that you asked. It kills the value to make these shine.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
icarus

Post by icarus »

I'm glad I asked too.