Bought an M1 Carbine........... Woohoo

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Sonny

Bought an M1 Carbine........... Woohoo

Post by Sonny »

Placed my order Christmas eve with a shop back east and my M1 arrived today. I don't know much about these other than they are a cool part of history.
This one was made by Inland and the date looks like Oct. 44..It looks beat up but I expected that. Also it has a wee bit of surface rust but the bore looks nice and shiny.
The Hickok45 videos are a good way to get info on guns of any sort,that guy is smart. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFqt25BxvFM

No .30 carbine ammo in this town so I might have to take a drive to the city or maybe I'll just order some online. Anyhoo here's a few pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boltaction

Re: Bought an M1 Carbine........... Woohoo

Post by boltaction »

Hello.
Cool, Score.
You've gotta have at least one M1 .30 carbine in the herd... Yours does have that "been there and done that" look too it. It's been experienced, for sure.
I wonder if any other inland parts are on/in it. Most are mixed pound puppies for sure. Any import stamps? but,you live across the upper boarder...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Uncle refurbished these carbine's every few years they were is service, or sooner if needed. The parts are usually mixed. Then again remember that many of the smaller subcontractors had trouble keeping up production on all of the parts and would receive aid from the other makers. Like IHC M1 rifles and the H&R bolts, looks like a mix, but it isn't. Nice find.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I see it has the late war upgrades. The fully adjustable rear sight and the front shroud adding the bayonet lug, nice.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

You got a really nice looking M1 Carbine there!
Congratulations.

This is one of my favorite carbines (and rifles) to shoot. I absolutely love this carbine.
I'm a huge fan of carbines anyway, but this thing has it all.
When I go to my Brothers and we go out i9n the desert on 4 wheelers, I always take mine with me. I load my own ammo, So I can use it to just plunk with. Very light and easy to carry.

Welcome to the M1 Carbine Club!!!

Darryl
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Longcolt44 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:22 pm I see it has the late war upgrades. The fully adjustable rear sight and the front shroud adding the bayonet lug, nice.
Hello, Good eye. But, you forgot the updated safety and potbelly stock...
Cool, too see the early style handguard(two rivets) is used, on the old work horse...
Here is a lot of info on two sites: #1 is M1carbineinc.com and #2 is uscarbinecal30.com
You will find all the makers marks for the parts on that rifle when you break it down for it's first cleaning and inspection. Hopefully, before shooting it....
Last edited by boltaction on Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

boltaction wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:09 pm
Longcolt44 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:22 pm I see it has the late war upgrades. The fully adjustable rear sight and the front shroud adding the bayonet lug, nice.
Hello, Good eye. But, you forgot the updated safety ...
Cool, too see the early style handguard(two rivets) is used, on the old work horse...
Here is a lot of info on two sites: #1 is M1carbineinc.com and #2 is uscarbinecal30.com
You will find all the makers marks for the parts on that rifle when you break it down for it's first cleaning and inspection. Hopefully, before shooting it....
Thanks for the info and no I didn't see any import marks on this one.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

If you tell us that you can buy ammo for it, I am going to raise an army and invade the Old Dominion.
You will know me in the crowd, I will be the most handsome man in the army!

Congrats Sonny, that is a keeper!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Did a quick range trip today and had a blast until I got cold. Yup it was a nice sunny day but dang after 30 minutes or so my fingers started to get really cold and you know that just takes the fun out of it. :vsad:

First shots were about a foot to the right at 30 yards. Mmm not good but after some adjustments We got it shooting better. It shot a nice group at 50 yards but at 100 the group got bigger but still not to bad. I'm sure I can get it shooting better but damn that's going to have to wait until the temps get above freezing..... Hey you Florida guys send me some warm weather ok? :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

SA1911a1 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:36 pm If you tell us that you can buy ammo for it, I am going to raise an army and invade the Old Dominion.
You will know me in the crowd, I will be the most handsome man in the army!

Congrats Sonny, that is a keeper!
No .30 carbine ammo in our LGS but there is lots online. :thumbsup:

This S&B was $29.99 per box.
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

that 100's is not the rifle...:)
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

tomaustin wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:23 pm that 100's is not the rifle...:)
No kidding. :lol:
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Mine's waiting its turn in the shop for an overhaul.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Where did you get the ammo?

Darryl
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Darryl wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:37 pm Where did you get the ammo?

Darryl
GoTenda in Ontario

https://www.gotenda.com/product/sellier ... 50-rounds/
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello,
It's time too start bootlegging out of the north again... Get out the boats, boys.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

boltaction wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:10 pm Hello,
It's time too start bootlegging out of the north again... Get out the boats, boys.
I've heard that there are some old salt mine tunnels under the Detroit River.. :lol:
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello, Sonny
Thanks for the tip. But, I'm no tunnel rat. I'd like to have more options if, the need to evade capture comes up. One good thing there are no walls on the nourthern boundaries.... just a line in the sand.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

boltaction wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:27 am Hello, Sonny
Thanks for the tip. But, I'm no tunnel rat. I'd like to have more options if, the need to evade capture comes up. One good thing there are no walls on the nourthern boundaries.... just a line in the sand.
The line in the sand is down South. Up there, it's more like a line in the woods and water.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Canada,

Well, I tried to send a box with two books in it to a friend in Canada two days ago. $33 plus. That was more then they could buy the books up there.

That and when things go through Customs, Man, it slows it down.

I can buy Korean (clean ammo with brass in Battle Packs) for about that price. But I'd rather get commercial.

Well, you have it on us "again" up in Canada.

Darryl