Part of my Hoarding (Rolex)

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
ARTX

Part of my Hoarding (Rolex)

Post by ARTX »

Collecting and hoarding is in my nature. For yrs I have been trading/selling watches. Never have I seen prices go up like they have risen to. There were times I couldn't make $50 on a Submariner priced at $1850
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Part of my Hoarding (Rolex)

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice watches and a very pretty Colt as well as those S&W's.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
ARTX

Post by ARTX »

Thank you very much.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I collect 19th and early 20th century pocket watches myself, nice collection of wristwatches. Brands like Rolex are now world renown for quality, but 120 years ago the Swiss were known for cheap knockoffs of US watch movements. They pirated technology from the big US watch makers, and in time refined it to what exists today. Remember, it's not hoarding if the items in question have a significant dollar value, piles of newspapers and jars of human waste on the other hand would indicate a problem. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ARTX

Post by ARTX »

I sold off several pocket watches last yr. I have a few left from lever set to pin/nail set. The pocket watch game used to be strong here in Tx and then after yrs it just died.
I remember when there were pocket watches bringing more money than a vintage Rolex Submariner.
I got into watches when the market was barely alive.
I have wooden ships to dinosaur eggs in my collection.
When my family has my estate sale some lucky fool will walk away with a fortune
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

A man who works hard, deserves his toys. I like your watches but collecting Rolex watches is out of my financial league. I was doing a search on how expensive watches can get and I was flabbergasted! Watches on a years long waiting list to be hand made, and you have to meet the Social status to buy them. I saw one watch that was over 50 million dollars, I started to order two of them, but I thought it would seem pretensions. A million bucks is apparently chump change in dealing with fine or historic watches these days.

I do have a birthday coming up if you want to drop me a nice Rolex in the mail. ;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oh yea, I remember when pocket watches took off, then leveled out. I never bought anything because I thought it was a good investment, I buy things I think are cool, and that could be anything. I collect history, or rather relics of history, firearms, watches, cars, tools, Victrolas, lanterns, trench lighters, a pretty much endless list.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ARTX

Post by ARTX »

I've done great having my watches as an investment in my portfolio. I'm in all of mine way cheaper than market. I've been able to support my family during the lean times. They are hotter than ever now,tempted to sell several now so it won't be a burdon on my family
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ARTX wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:10 pm I've done great having my watches as an investment in my portfolio. I'm in all of mine way cheaper than market. I've been able to support my family during the lean times. They are hotter than ever now,tempted to sell several now so it won't be a burdon on my family
It will not be a burden on your family if you make sure they, or the most trusted of them anyway, know exactly what you have, and the value of them. Select a trusted auction house for them to deal with if necessary, and have everything properly cataloged so there is no guessing on their part later as to what is what. This isn't like a barn full of rusted cars, a fine timepiece is small, easily portable and valuable, not difficult to find buyers for or to ship. Make sure they also know to keep silent about this type of hoard to friends and neighbors, the kind of value you are displaying here could get you home invaded by professionals and possibly killed should they find out were exactly you are. Yea, I know, lots of guns, house fort Knox, special forces back in the day, none of that matters when there's a gun at a loved ones head, and your told to hand it over. I wouldn't worry about your family having difficulties disposing of things like a Rolex, the guns would be more of a challenge, kind of specialized items. No need to dispose of them while you are still walking around and enjoying them, just select a trusted dealer, or auction house for them to deal with should the unexpected happen, and make sure they know what to do , and were to go.
Theodore Roosevelt
mproko

Post by mproko »

I’ll wonder this if I don’t ask. Is the Diamondback a factory engraved piece or something you had done?
ARTX

Post by ARTX »

Appreciate the tips.
I have cataloged my watches and took extra steps to make sure everything is detailed, model,serial,age,value and what I paid.
I am going through a health issue at the moment so I felt I needed to straighten out my affairs. I had a ledger with everything so I just beefed it up with more info.
I went from on the verge of hospice care to fighting just to be here.
I share more online than anywhere else,I like the anonymity.
The gold Diamondback was engraved by lord knows who. It's better than most factory engraved guns I have owned.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

If you want a really high quality engraved gun, you find the best master engraver you can. They can take an average gun with good factory finish and turn it into a masterpiece. The only limit to possibility is your bank account.
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

ARTX.....be careful with your health issues......let us know your status from time to time....Tom
ARTX

Post by ARTX »

Thank you Tom. It's been a rough yr. I tried to get the Dr's to listen. Now an 80 yr old pinky to has more heart function than me.
I'm passed anger,I've come a long way in a short time
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

I have an original Seiko Pogue Pepsi Chronograph Automatic Watch.....the story about this limited production model and our astronaut William Pogue, pilot on NASA's Skylab 4 mission in 1973-74 is very interesting....I bought mine because, as a pilot instructor, I liked the timing features...Bill need something more than a standard watch that NASA was issuing...He saw these being offered in Houston and asked NASA to get one for him.....I had bought mine just a few weeks earlier....He wore that watch on his missions...It gave him the timing capabilities he needed to be successful on those flights.....We compared these watches over the years.....Seiko constructed a unique watch for that time....and it took on his name in recognition of his space program use...the first chronograph in space........Tom
bogozzo

Post by bogozzo »

I collect .. well, a bit of everything.
I got into paintings by cruising thrift stores .. there's some great work out there that Granny did and then got thrown over to the local charity when she died and no one wanted pictures of mountains, coastlines, lakes. I call that the rescue art collection
Then there were sculptures and bronzes. Walked into an antique store one day and came out with a bronze dancer ... that was 9 pieces ago.
I do rock carving / sculpture .. so trade sometimes with artist friends - house is getting full .
Persian rugs and Tiffany (Style) lamps.
Wine (aim is to drink the last bottle on my deathbed .. problem there is predicting timelines / doing inventory control. BUT, after a number of years collecting, I"m now drinking aged wine that's worth way above my paygrade).
Tools .. haha - I doubled my collection one fall when I came home, found the garage door open and couldn't find 2 large toolboxes. Reported the "theft", didn't do insurance because of deductibles - wife let me go shopping. In the spring I went out to our farm/campsite and found the 2 toolboxes right where I left them the last fall.
Books.
Of course .. Mosins. A few Berettas and a set of 1960's Browning .22s - Medalist / Challenger / Nomad.
I seem to have a number of ball caps. And I could go on about the piles of "treasures" in 2 sea containers at the farm.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to manage my estate .. sorry to the kids.