My BM

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
locomotiveguy

My BM

Post by locomotiveguy »

First this came from the sweaty dealer that must never be named, in a cardboard box that did not match it serial number. If this Star has been fired it was only a couple of clips full. I like it a lot and am looking forward to shooting it. More on that later
locomotiveguy

Re: My BM

Post by locomotiveguy »

P1020526.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Nice Star.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I've been seriously thinking of getting another one... Got rid of my last one due to it always FTF & FTE. :angry4:
But I loved it when it ran well.

Very Cool!!!! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Rongo wrote:I've been seriously thinking of getting another one... Got rid of my last one due to it always FTF & FTE. :angry4:

I swapped some work for a PD. It was a fine gun. I got a little spooked about the scarcity of parts and sold it. The fellow who bought it was so impressed he started collecting them. The last I saw him he had at least a dozen.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice pistol, when I saw the title I was a bit worried about what I might find here when I opened it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

The pistols nice all right but…. I shot a box of cheap ammo and I don't know if it didn't like the steel cased 115 gr fmj because it was hitting over a foot high at 25 yrds and no grouping
entropy

Post by entropy »

Rongo wrote:I've been seriously thinking of getting another one... Got rid of my last one due to it always FTF & FTE. :angry4:

Why do you think I traded it to you? :wink:

But you're right, when it worked right, it was a great gun to shoot. 8-)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I bought one from SOG when they first came in, wouldn't trade it for anything. Well, maybe a Luger.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
rakysk

Post by rakysk »

I enjoy shooting mine. Had just few FTE, but for some reason my gun works without issues with cheap ammo, specially Tula, steel case.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

locomotiveguy wrote:The pistols nice all right but…. I shot a box of cheap ammo and I don't know if it didn't like the steel cased 115 gr fmj because it was hitting over a foot high at 25 yrds and no grouping
I've got an original Police Beretta 92 that like Wolf poly ammo the best . It throws Winchester and CCI all over. Some pistols are just particular about their ammo.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

In the shop I hear a lot of, It won't eject, it won't chamber, it does this or it does that. Almost all the time it's an ammo problem. Put crap in get crap out. Use good ammo and though it may cost more what you save in problems and grief will be more than worth it.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

I have an Iver Johnson Pony made in Middlesex, NJ looks similar. It's like a mini 1911 in .380 and some if not all parts look to be Star made. Very picky about ammo, but now that I found the right ammo I wouldn't give it up. Wears well on the ankle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

My BM had FTF every other round with multiple magazines and any ammo. New mag follower and recoil spring took care of about 90% of the issues. Working on finding a good load it likes to feed without any issues at all now.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I cannot speak to the BMs, but I do have a Star Firestar in .40. It is a 1992-94 make, I think. It is quite small, quite heavy ( all steel), but completely reliable in the 15+ years I have had it.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Bingo

Post by Bingo »

I have two of the BMs
and would not part with them. First one is nickle plated and I did not fire it but to check for function. Next is a blued one, very early import so not heavily marked. No malfunctions with any ammo.Looking to get another two for the family as they all like mine! As said before ,I am not parting with mine.BTW I did stock some spare firing pins as I found that if you are going to break anything it is the firing pin also mags,
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Like Millman, I have the Firestar Plus but in 9mm. I really like it, and yes it is a little heavy like he said compared to most modern pistols with composite uppers.
dou44

Post by dou44 »

that looks like mine .I was ready to order one and found one at a local gun show. it shoots great and I have not had any trouble out of it with ammo
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

I bought some 147 gr fmj and a couple other brands of 115gr to try maybe this afternoon I will get a chance to experiment
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

I can't seem to come up with a simple solution on this one. Tried the different ammo none clicked in, all the slide tolerances seem tight, muzzle setup seems tight, might be worth a recrown, Maybe the reason it looks so good is that out of its new box it didn't shoot and so it was returned to its box.