Italian Vetterli M70/87/15

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Greasemonkey

Italian Vetterli M70/87/15

Post by Greasemonkey »

I found an Italian Vetterli M70/87/15 the other week for a little bit of nothing. It was covered in dust and some surface rust from sitting, actually it was quite nasty in the action. It took me a bit to even get the bolt out of it. I'm sure the tag on it that read "Do not shoot" scared off alot of people from buying it. The counter guy asked me twice, "are you sure you want this heap?" Don't quite think I would shoot it, but it is a very neat design in how they converted it from a single shot black powder rifle to a magazine fed modern center fire. I think it's a cool piece of history in how far some nations would go to arm their troops. I have a Swiss Vetterli I have never shot, so this will fit right in with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Greasemonkey

Re: Italian Vetterli M70/87/15

Post by Greasemonkey »

This is the markings on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Sweet, I like it a lot. Great find.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I also got one of them. If I had the ammo I would load it up and invite Mike over to shoot it.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

SA1911a1 wrote:I also got one of them. If I had the ammo I would load it up and invite Mike over to shoot it.
I know what you mean about the draw. The guy at the gun show that sold me mine had no respect for it. I think I paid $120.00 for it about seven years ago. I wouldn't take twice that for it.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Hadn't come across an Italian Vetterli in my travels yet. Did buy an 1879 Swiss Vetterli 69/71 a year or so ago, then saw another one somewhere recently. The Italian version is on my wishlist.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Converted from what? Into a ????? Yes I admit, I don't know everything. :music2.gif:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
WW1-WW2rifleman

Post by WW1-WW2rifleman »

Sweet find! I don’t know much about it but, I’m guessing it saw action in at least the reunification years and WW1. A single shot, black powder rifle converted to a magazine fed rifle and later the rifle was remodeled for at least spitzer cartridges if not smokeless powder?? I’m asking because it’s only a guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

steelbuttplate wrote:Converted from what? Into a ????? Yes I admit, I don't know everything. :music2.gif:
:whistle: :lol:

Converted from a single shot 10.35x47Rmm blackpowder round, that is what it was chambered for originally in the 1870's, to a Mannlicher style clip fed 6.5x52mm Carcano. The barrel is sleeved like the P-series Finnish Mosin using Italy’s Salerno method.

I have seen references of them being used from WWI, through everything else Italy tried in between the World Wars, like the Italian invasion on Ethiopia, into WWII. My understanding was they were originally built to arm back line troops. So they do carry some use and history with them.