SKS gas tube is stuck

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
FR0STY54R

SKS gas tube is stuck

Post by FR0STY54R »

I was teaching a friend about re assembling the SKS. I had mine already disassembled and was demonstrating how to put the gas tube back in place and I snapped it back in position and now for whatever reason, it's stuck. It's loose and wobbles around, but it simply refuses to come out. I see absolutely no reason why It wouldn't come out. Can anyone enlighten me ? I tried prying it with a screw driver and realized it was going to break if I tried it any longer. I am frustrated beyond measure. I tried making an account on the SKS boards to get help with the issue but apparently there is a waiting period for my account to be accepted by the admins.
Shoot like Voroshilov !
Ironnewt

Re: SKS gas tube is stuck

Post by Ironnewt »

Can you complete the reassemble of the entire SKS?
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

Oh yes, I disassemble and reassemble it constantly. It's usually no problem but for whatever reason, now the gas tube is stuck.
Shoot like Voroshilov !
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Two things come to mind, check the piston extension to verify it's flush with the receiver, if the actual gas piston is up in the piston extension area, even just a little, it won't release. Another thought, check and verify the cam on the release lever is actually turning with with the lever. If it's not, the release lever may have broken loose from the cam. In the released position the cam should be straight up and down, if it's off slightly, it wont release the tube.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

Here are some pictures that might help. The cam works. Like I said, the tube is very loose. Like it wants to come off, but its like it catches at the last minute. Very frustrating.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412625212.722074.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412625228.173038.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412625238.942455.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shoot like Voroshilov !
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

If it came apart in the past, it could be the gas piston sticking out of the gas tube just slightly, it's a very tight fit in that area and it doesn't take much to hang it up. I would try pushing or tapping the operating rod/small piston that hits the carrier back in or at least verify it and the gas piston are fully retracted. Could be a piece of carbon between the gas block and tube keeping the piston from fully returning.
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

AHH YES ! Thank you so much, that did the trick. [emoji106][emoji106]
Shoot like Voroshilov !
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

Don't you just love this forum. My wife can't believe how helpful members are to each other with problem solving and freely sharing their experience. :thumbsup: JGC
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

FR0STY54R wrote:AHH YES ! Thank you so much, that did the trick. [emoji106][emoji106]
If it is about a SKS, Greasemonkey normally has the answer.... :thumbsup:
BmW13294

Post by BmW13294 »

Hi guys, I'm having the same issue with my sks, I've soaked it in three different solutions but still not budging. The cam is turning as it should, but at the bottom of the level its very tight, but as i understand thats normal. Is there a place where I can push the piston to see if i can get to budge?
There is a hole above the barrel in the chamber area, Is that where the piston is located? Also if that is the area where i push, would that even do anything if its already stuck in the open position ?
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

No. What you see at the receiver is the transfer rod. The piston is (or should be) fully in the gas tube. When the rifle cycles, the piston slides back, pushing the transfer rod with it. The transfer rod strikes the face of the bolt body, causing it to cycle. The transfer rod is spring loaded and should push the piston back fully into the gas piston. If the spring is weak or broken, it may not push the end of the piston far enough forward to clear the end of the tube.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

awalker1829 wrote:No. What you see at the receiver is the transfer rod. The piston is (or should be) fully in the gas tube. When the rifle cycles, the piston slides back, pushing the transfer rod with it. The transfer rod strikes the face of the bolt body, causing it to cycle. The transfer rod is spring loaded and should push the piston back fully into the gas piston. If the spring is weak or broken, it may not push the end of the piston far enough forward to clear the end of the tube.

This is all correct... :thumbsup: Operating rod..transfer rod.. it's all the same.. :lol:

My questions would be, has the tube ever been off since in your possession? Is it a recent purchase you are trying to clean? Has someone modded, or stuck an aftermarket tube on it...sometimes they need fitting to fit loose.

If it is a recent purchase, the previous owner may have never removed the tube and cleaned it correctly. If surplus corrosive ammo was used or it's digested alot of dirty Russian ammo, there could be either or both, rust and/or carbon build up in the gas tube not allowing the piston to go fully forward in it's normal resting position. Even old dried gas and powder residue hardend shipping/storage grease could be in the tube and never was cleaned.. seen this once, recently. Either one of these could cause the tube to hang up on removing it, it doesn't take much of the piston sticking out to hang it up.

Since the release cam "is" turning, the one thing really left is the piston sticking slightly out of the gas tube. The lever that unlocks the gas tube has to be in the perfect position to let the end of the gas tube past.

You can...."carefully" try to tap the transfer rod forward(the rod that sticks through the receiver) with a hammer and appropriate sized punch to see if you can drive both the transfer rod and piston forward a small amount. It shouldn’t take a lot, so no need to wail away on it..you just trying to seat everything forward, back in it's original place.

If it comes apart..great... the fun begins. Cleaning the gunk out of both the tube and gas port.. a .410 or a .45 bore brush and CLP or Hoppes9 works good for the piston tube, you can also use a .22 brush for the small end if it's gunked up. You can keep swapping back and forth with a brush and a patch till it comes clean. If you have an Ak or SKS cleaning kit, cleaning the gas port with the included tool would be advisable as well as cleaning out the gas block. Then clean up the piston and remove the transfer rod and spring and clean it all up...careful with it, it is spring loaded.

Hopefully..If you made it this far... do not use alot of oil in the gas system during reassembly.. just a very light coating of oil, almost dry is all thats required if you plan on firing soon. And reclean the gas system after firing to prevent the above issue if thats what you find.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Any gun bought used ought to be torn down, inspected and cleaned prior to use. Safety is the primary reason and you know the condition of the firearm. If you experience a failure at the range, you then have a head start on troubleshooting. When I got my 59/66, the gas piston wouldn’t cycle after firing with the gas valve set correctly. Wrapped a thin wire around the gas end of the valve and confirmed that the valve was excessively worn. Replaced it and the gun cycled fine. There’s no substitute for knowing your rifle inside and out.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

While I fully agree.. some people don't, they buy it, load it, shoot till it fails, then complain what a huge hunk of crap it is. This is how I ended up......... with a few... oh, it don't fire or it slam fires, it won't cycle, it's broke, it's junk, buy it cheap, 1/2 hour later shes running like a Swiss watch. :D

And if the gas tube is in that condition.. how bad is the bolt? :shock:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

When I have something that refuses ever reasonable request to move, I have a special go-to tool. It is a 48" all steel Ridgid pipe wrench. The thing must weigh 50 pounds. Once you get those teeth into something, it will move.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Greasemonkey wrote:While I fully agree.. some people don't, they buy it, load it, shoot till it fails, then complain what a huge hunk of crap it is. This is how I ended up......... with a few... oh, it don't fire or it slam fires, it won't cycle, it's broke, it's junk, buy it cheap, 1/2 hour later shes running like a Swiss watch. :D

And if the gas tube is in that condition.. how bad is the bolt? :shock:
That and they make a fuss if it blows up. Bottom line is that each shooter is ultimately responsible for their own safety-not the manufacturer, not the dealer, not the gunsmith. The reason most firearms have failures is the user. Any mechanical device that is not properly maintained will eventually fail. Ideally, every gun owner should know how their weapons function and take pride in maintaining them properly.

That said, I recognize that many gun owners don’t have the resources that many of us do. I have access to two shops and have a twenty foot work bench and tools dedicated strictly to firearms maintenance.
BmW13294

Post by BmW13294 »

Thank you guys, I went to a friends house and checked out his two yougo and Russian SKS's and got a real understanding for how it all works. I have confirmed that the piston is the problem, and that its just not retracted, i'm currently trying to find a tool too push the piston out of the way. Stock SKS cleaning pin is almost the right size but just slightly to big of a diameter to push from the angle I need. Truly thank you!
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

BmW13294 wrote:Thank you guys, I went to a friends house and checked out his two yougo and Russian SKS's and got a real understanding for how it all works. I have confirmed that the piston is the problem, and that its just not retracted, i'm currently trying to find a tool too push the piston out of the way. Stock SKS cleaning pin is almost the right size but just slightly to big of a diameter to push from the angle I need. Truly thank you!
If you do not already have a set of punches, go to your local shooting supply store and buy a set. Punches are essential for driving pins out to permit stripping for cleaning or repair,
silverado1999

Post by silverado1999 »

^ What he said. Get a punch slightly smaller than the cleaning pin.
Curious enough to take it apart;
Skilled enough to put it back together;
Clever enough to hide the extra parts!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

4 year old thread.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis