Back to my childhood... Glenfield model 60

Rim Fire Firearms
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to my childhood... Glenfield model 60

Post by Rongo »

Growing up in a small farm town I made a few really good friends, and one of my best friends lived out in the country with thousands of acres of woods out his back door & the town gun range next door. He had his own .22 rifle but I did not; & my dad would't let me borrow his. We were about 12 at the time & both proficient and safe with firearms.
Well my buddie's dad had an old Glenfield model 60 hanging on the wall in the garage & I got to use that for my woods carry gun & Squirrel exterminator. Many miles I carried that old Glenfield in the woods & shot many rounds through it. A lot of good memories, and I always wanted to get another someday...

A few weeks ago a friend says he wanted to get rid of his old Glenfield model 60. Seems it was failing to eject rounds, but otherwise shot fine & was in good shape. I asked what he wanted & the price was $75. Why not? So he dropped it off a week or so ago, we made the transaction & I got around to tinkering with it the other day. The ejector wire was pushed down & in so I adjusted it & took it to my Cousin's place up North yesterday.

Shot great, fed perfect & ejected every round without issue. May not be the same exact gun; But I got my old Squirrel gun back! I'm a happy guy. :biggrin:
001AAA.jpg
002.jpg
005.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Re: Back to my childhood... Glenfield model 60

Post by websterz »

Quite possibly the best semi auto .22 ever made!
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oh yea, I have the Marlin 60, and fixed a nice Glenfield for a friend of mine ten years back and it's still going strong.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

Glad you got it. We need to get out to shoot it! I'm off Fri, Sat., & Sun......

I sort of have what I grew up with. My Dad had a Rem. 572 pump, shot many a rat at the dump up at the cabin with it. My son traded his 552 auto for my 10/22 a while back. Now I just need to find a K2.5 Weaver to top it.....
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Nice old Glenfield. If it gives you any more eject issues, check on rimfire central for the "nickel trick". There is a way to adjust the ejector wire using a nickel as a gauge.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

entropy wrote:Glad you got it. We need to get out to shoot it! I'm off Fri, Sat., & Sun......

I sort of have what I grew up with. My Dad had a Rem. 572 pump, shot many a rat at the dump up at the cabin with it. My son traded his 552 auto for my 10/22 a while back. Now I just need to find a K2.5 Weaver to top it.....
Here you go entropy. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... r&_sacat=0
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

millman wrote:Nice old Glenfield. If it gives you any more eject issues, check on rimfire central for the "nickel trick". There is a way to adjust the ejector wire using a nickel as a gauge.
That's about what I did to adjust it... Spits them out very consistently. 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

entropy wrote:Glad you got it. We need to get out to shoot it! I'm off Fri, Sat., & Sun......

Might be free on Sunday? :wink:

"Dang that entropy"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

websterz wrote:Quite possibly the best semi auto .22 ever made!
I agree. I gave my son my 10/22 when I found a model 60.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

I have a Glenfield 60 A Glenfield Diamond Jubilee 60 and two Marlin 60's all good shooters. Image

This is one I refinished
entropy

Post by entropy »

You'll have to bring the Model 60 with Sunday afternoon, Ron. :thumbsup:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

entropy wrote:You'll have to bring the Model 60 with Sunday afternoon, Ron. :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

"Dang that entropy"
Tmag97

Post by Tmag97 »

My first rifle also. Mine shot lots and lots of shells growing up. Many a tin or soda can died from the model 60.Had not thought much of it until I read this thread. Brings back lots of memories of me and my dad.