Crates full of bent bolt non-ex snipers??

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
NLMosin

Crates full of bent bolt non-ex snipers??

Post by NLMosin »

I was at a gun show this weekend and there was a guy there with two crates full of bent bolt 91/30's that did NOT have the holes or the plugged holes a sniper or ex sniper. I asked him what the 'story' was and he said that they were sent back for refurb and had the bent bolts added. The funny thing there was the they were all numbers matching bolts.

On the Tula I was trying to talk myself into buying the font on the numbers on the bolt did not match the reciever in fact the number '2' was half the size of the other numbers. I have read quite a bit about the history of the 91/30 and I dont remember a time when they decided to specifically make bent bolt non-ex snipers. And for him to have so many just seemed weird to me.

Please dont tell me I passed up buying a unique mosin...unless you have to because I did. If theres anything Ive learned when it comes to mosins its that if it seems too good to be true it probably isnt and if you cant make the facts align its because they dont, and stay away.

Thoughts?
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
Lee-online

Re: Crates full of bent bolt non-ex snipers??

Post by Lee-online »

If you think about how many snipers that were refurbished into a regular 91/30 then conclude the Russian are not going to waste a perfectly usable bent bolt then it make sense to see crates of these. They have came up for sale in the past. Not rare, just another different variation to collect.

I saw a few the other week, they were typical refurbs, just had a sniper bent bolt.
Kollaa kestää
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Thanks Lee. I was standing there staring into this crate thinking should I walk away or not. I would have kicked myself sideways if it turned out they were unique and I should have got one. So then they must have ground the bolts and re-stamped them at the factory. I wonder how many other 'matching' bolts are ground and restamped. Thank the Mosin Gods that they havent made Remington stamps yet! :facepalm2:
People live together.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Almost every "matching" refurb has had its bolt, mag and butt plate ground and restamped. It was apart of the refurbishment process.
Kollaa kestää
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

How much was he selling them for?
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

He was asking $250. It wasnt a bad price in light of the present mosin climate. I just didnt want to take the chance on buying a bastardized mosin.
People live together.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

NLMosin wrote:Thanks Lee. I was standing there staring into this crate thinking should I walk away or not. I would have kicked myself sideways if it turned out they were unique and I should have got one. So then they must have ground the bolts and re-stamped them at the factory. I wonder how many other 'matching' bolts are ground and restamped. Thank the Mosin Gods that they havent made Remington stamps yet! :facepalm2:

Like Lee says if it's refurbished, which most are, it's been force matched. This explains it well----> http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/ref ... index.html
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

RGUNS used to sell these. Probably where they came from, but SAMCO also sold some. They were standard M91/30's that were refurbished and had a sniper bolt put on at that time. Perhaps they ran out of standard bolts and used what they had left? But they were imported into the USA that way.

.....D
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

Rguns has had them for a long time. They still have them at $175.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Refurbs have basically no rules! Anything is possible! Would I buy one for $250? Probably not if RGUns had them for markedly less. The real test would be to see how many were left at the end of the weekend and to see if the people who bought them had any knowledge of what they had bought. I some how doubt they did and would think they were sort of in the want to Bubba and mount a scope class. The ones that SAMCO had sort of had some legitimacy to them as I remember didn't they? Bill
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

zeebill wrote:Refurbs have basically no rules! Anything is possible! Would I buy one for $250? Probably not if RGUns had them for markedly less. The real test would be to see how many were left at the end of the weekend and to see if the people who bought them had any knowledge of what they had bought. I some how doubt they did and would think they were sort of in the want to Bubba and mount a scope class. The ones that SAMCO had sort of had some legitimacy to them as I remember didn't they? Bill
The ones from SAMCO with "legitimacy were the snipers with the pins still in them with the bent bolt. They were Russian rifles during WWII, then sent to Yugoslavia after the war. They removed the mount, base and scopes and sold them. Samco bought them. They are still in "sniper configuration", just missing the scope setup. There is another way of telling if they went to Yugoslavia.

They also sold Standard M91/30's that were not "exsnipers" and never had a scope on them. But, they did have a real sniper bent bolt on them. But they have never been in sniper configuration. RGUNS and a few other got a few crates of these rifles also. These had to be done during refurb and they came from the Ukraine in those big crates, not in the individual boxed rifles we see from Russia.

......D
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

You guys are great. Saved me from wasting money. I will get one from RG if I decide.
People live together.