Species Of Wood

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
rideandslidejim

Species Of Wood

Post by rideandslidejim »

Hello All & Happy New Year'

I have a 91/30 and a #53, does anyone know what type of wood the stocks are ? The #53 seems to be a darker wood.

Jim
Member of the Lousy Spellers Of America Asso.
desdem12

Re: Species Of Wood

Post by desdem12 »

birch and chu i believe. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Pictures, we need to have pictures. Without them your going to get 20 guesses. Opps, to late. Here's your first 2.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Cherry and chinese maple. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Most of the comments on the Russian, Soviet and Finnish rifles claim that the wood is "Arctic Birch". You could also end up with a refurb with an American Black Walnut stock. You couldn't prove the Arctic Birch thing by me, because we don't have birch trees and I am a long way from the Arctic. These rifles were stained differently from time to time and country to country.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have an artic birch in my front yard, at least that is what the tag said on it. I thought that was nice karma. :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Rose wood? For some reason I accociate that with the Chinese rifles, a dark, and oily wood.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Hmm..... not sur but look forward to the answer regardoing the Chinese carbine.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Wonder if they would have used the same wood as the Mauser style rifles China built. Some of the Chinese Mauser stocks I've seen look a little more like the M53 Mosin stocks than the chu wood used on rifles like the early SKS's and such.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

It's T53, not M53

They used Chu wood because it wouldn't rot like other types of wood. (http://www.mosinnagant.net/global%20mos ... arbine.asp

M44 (or Russian Mosins) Russian stocks were sub-artic birch. Most came from lower Siberia, and not from the artic. Some from around the arsenals Tula and Izhevsk. Ural birch was also used. Birch is common in Russia.

"The higher figured Finnish artic birch stocks (Kurelian birch) came from areas near Finland up North."
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

dolk wrote:It's T53, not M53

They used Chu wood because it wouldn't rot like other types of wood. (http://www.mosinnagant.net/global%20mos ... arbine.asp
So the lack of the shellac finish due to wear alters what I've seen, then I guess the Chiang Kai-Shek Mauser must be a Chu type wood stock. Always wondered about them :thumbsup:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

bunkysdad wrote:Hmm..... not sur but look forward to the answer regardoing the Chinese carbine.

Lapin says that the Chinese stock was either Catapla or "Tulip Wood", if I remember correctly. Either of which may or may not be the "chu" mentioned above.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum