The Mosin Bolt

Mosin Information Pages, Video's on setting firing pin protrusion, how to check headspace, the Mosin bolt,
MosinWiki, How to's on cleaning your Mosin, shooting too hight? and much more.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

The Mosin Bolt

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Silk#2

Re: The Mosin Bolt

Post by Silk#2 »

Another sweet video Boss!!! Love the bit about the pine!!!! :clap: "thumbsup01:
The 8
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Pine is very important, use of a soft wood to depress the pin is critical, try this with walnut and the pin might slip and get away from you.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ModelAUZI

Post by ModelAUZI »

Great info. I need to start taking everything apart.
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
- Ted Nugent
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I use the inside of one of my desk drawers in lieu of the pine, but under no circumstances do this on your wifes coffee, or dining room table.
Great video Jim!
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I almost used the top of the Mosin crate but caught myself just in time and went and got the pine board. :)
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I almost used the top of the Mosin crate but caught myself just in time and went and got the pine board. :)
Good move.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

From what I see on some rifles Russian, and Finnish soldiers thought nothing of using the rifles buttstock, but while birch is not a super hardwood, it is hard enough that the pin could slip, and with the rifle held on your lap......
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I should have seen a video like this when I first tried to disassemble the bolt on my first Mosin Nagant two years ago; would have made my life much easier. Now that I have eight of these rifles, it seems really easy. Recommend this video to any new owner. Thanks for posting.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No problem, I know some folks have been eyeing the Mosin bolt like a snake in the grass unsure how to deal with it. The bolt is a critical part of the rifle and must be properly maintained for optimum performance.
Theodore Roosevelt
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

I also wish I had seen this video BEFORE my first attempt at taking the bolt apart. :vsad: I used a picture-less manual that came with the rifle. Quite honestly, I have NO idea how I was able to re-assemble it!!! One thing that I found out...and it may be a bad thing to do, so I will ask the expert...you can also disassemble the firing pin by using the combo tool and grabbing the firing pin and unscrewing it with the tool. You still need the wood block to prevent it from flying off.

Dep
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sure, you can do it that way, but some people get nervous about the parts getting away from them so I left that out of the video.
Theodore Roosevelt
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Sure, you can do it that way, but some people get nervous about the parts getting away from them so I left that out of the video.
That's what I figured and if my post is a bad practice please feel free to have it deleted. I don't want to be the one to give bad advice. :vsad:
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

What is the third hole from the left on the tool for?

jb
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Deputy wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Sure, you can do it that way, but some people get nervous about the parts getting away from them so I left that out of the video.
That's what I figured and if my post is a bad practice please feel free to have it deleted. I don't want to be the one to give bad advice. :vsad:
Nothing wrong with doing it that way if you feel comfortable doing it,some people who are new to firearms are also new to dealing with springs, they have to get over their fear of them before they would try it like you suggested anyway. Your way would work better for someone with limited arm strength, I am assuming that anyone with the strength to operate the rifle should also be able to hold the bolt spring compressed long enough to unscrew the cocking piece, but there are medical conditions that could make it difficult for some. If this is the case they can read what you suggested and benefit from it.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

jeremyb wrote:What is the third hole from the left on the tool for?

jb
There are four notches in the Mosin bolt tool, The big one that is last is for unscrewing the firing pin as I showed in the video, the other three are for checking the firing pin protrusion, the middle of the three remaining holes is the one that has to clear the pin, the other two are clearance cuts so the tool can fit over the bolt head as I showed you in the video.
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Some tools are marked with .75 for the second notch and .95 for the third. I think of those notches as "barely touch and shouldn't touch" when checking the protrusion. The second notch is minimum protrusion and the third is maximum. I don't ever set a pin to the max, as I figure it is asking for a pierced primer.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, of the seven Mosin tools I have crammed in the tool pouch, only one has the numbers marked on it. I left them out of the video as I hope they will just adjust it as I showed, to the lowest setting.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

The Mosin bolt tool is meant to be used as a go or no go tool. That is what the numbered holes are for. It is not supposed to fit under the 74 hole and yet clear the 95 hole. Between those two holes is your safe adjustment point. JYD has made it simpler but that is not the way the tool was meant to work as it was meant to give you an adjustment range. If you run into a bolt that has not had the slot in the firing pin made in the right place you can actually have a tough time getting that adjustment range just right. I have been there done that and the next best step is change firing pin. Bill :o
dou44

Post by dou44 »

years ago when they were selling the k98's for around $89 i ask for a bnz and a certain year and i got it, that was one time i was glad i payed the extra $10. some of the boxex i order from them on the nagants had the year and tula or Izhevsk on it .