SKS and Cleanup after Corrosive Ammo

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
AoxoMoxoA

SKS and Cleanup after Corrosive Ammo

Post by AoxoMoxoA »

It's only a matter of time before I obtain an SKS (either an Izhevsk or Zastava - opinions?) and I had a question regarding cleaning after firing the surplus ammo that I would be shooting through it. I have and enjoy my Mosin-Nagant M91/30 (also have a M44 on it's way to me), and cleaning the rifle after a session is a breeze. I am aware that dismantling the SKS rifles is a more cumbersome affair, and my question is after shooting corrosive ammo, does one need to completely disassemble and clean all of the interior rifle components (gas tube, piston, etc.), or just clean the bore and bolt head, as with the Mosins?
[hr]▫ 1942 Suojeluskuntain Ase ja Konepaja Oy M39
▫ 1952г Tula M45 Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: SKS and Cleanup after Corrosive Ammo

Post by Rongo »

Or, just start buying some Wolf, Golden Tiger or TulaAmmo. Usually you can get them for under $5 a box of twenty. Walmart has the TulaAmmo for $4.99 every day. The corrosive surplus is a bit cheaper but not worth it in my opinion for the 7.62x39 since ammo cost is almost the same for the non-corrosive stuff.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
martin08

Post by martin08 »

On the first question, Izhevsk or Zastava. You will find that an Izhevsk Arsenal is very difficult to locate at a competitive price. On average, these run from $500 to $800, depending on original features. Tula Arsenal Russians are two to three hundred dollars less money for similar condition units. Right now, Yugos are relatively inexpensive at $225 to $300. Yugos WON'T have a chrome lined bore.

On clean-up, it's really a snap. The gas tube and receiver cover both disassemble with the flip of a lever. Add an extra few minutes of cleaning time when compared to a Mosin. On a Yugo with the gas valve (grenade launcher Model M59/66), add another minute or two.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
AoxoMoxoA

Post by AoxoMoxoA »

Rongoman wrote:Or, just start buying some Wolf, Golden Tiger or TulaAmmo. Usually you can get them for under $5 a box of twenty. Walmart has the TulaAmmo for $4.99 every day.
I've seen the TulaAmmo here, but I was under the impression that it was corrosive... Good to know that it isn't. Thanks.
AoxoMoxoA

Post by AoxoMoxoA »

martin08 wrote:On the first question, Izhevsk or Zastava. You will find that an Izhevsk Arsenal is very difficult to locate at a competitive price. On average, these run from $500 to $800, depending on original features. Tula Arsenal Russians are two to three hundred dollars less money for similar condition units. Right now, Yugos are relatively inexpensive at $225 to $300. Yugos WON'T have a chrome lined bore.
I've read chatter (on various forums) that the Yugo SKS rifles are better shooters... Is that just unfounded internet blabber? Would your recommendation be to locate a Tula or Izhevsk SKS with the chrome bore? Does having a chrome bore mean that it wouldn't need immediate cleaning IF I happened to shoot surplus ammo?
martin08

Post by martin08 »

The blabber is just that. SKS's are an average 4MOA gun (4" groups at 100 yards) from any manufacturer. Some can be much better, some a little worse. Yugo surplus ammo seems to shoot tighter groups than commercial, but nobody can shoot "match grade" with any SKS, with any ammo.

If you just want a shooter, get a Chinese. That is my recommendation. Russians are collectible, therefore more expensive. Yugos have that nose-heavy grenade launcher nonsense (nobody is launching grenades here in the U.S.), and holding a sight picture through the entire ten shot sequence from a standing position is compromised by the extra weight.

Of my 53 SKS's, the top ten shooters for accuracy are all Chinese. They have better bore tolerances, IMO. I haven't slugged the bores, I just shoot them and the results are self-evident.

Clean-up right after shooting corrosive ammo (within a few hours) is still recommended, even with the chrome bore. The gas tube/piston and bolt face are not chromed, so they should be cleaned the same day that it is shot, and sooner rather than later if it is humid.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Once you take it down for cleaning you will think to yourself...man that was easy. These are very easy to clean and field strip and shoot very nice. I think if you are having a rough time deciding which to get well just get one of each and then you can compare the groups. You won't be disapointed with an SKS at all :P :P
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
AoxoMoxoA

Post by AoxoMoxoA »

martin08 wrote:Of my 53 SKS's...
53 SKS's... Yikes!
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

I bought a Yugo last year and it is fun to shoot. I am having mechanical issues with the firing pin, which I will start working on when I get some time. Martin08 don't leave these boards! t's nice to have a SKS expert. I will be depending on you. I went the non corrosive route. The Wolf ammo is cheap and functions well.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

AoxoMoxoA wrote:
53 SKS's... Yikes!

If I had to trim down some, I'm sure that I could probably live with 48 of them.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Darn, I'm slowly catching up to you with certain ones! :D
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
martin08

Post by martin08 »

OLD OUTLAW wrote:Darn, I'm slowly catching up to you with certain ones! :D

Welcome aboard, Old Outlaw! Good to see that you migrated here.

Now, you'll need to start catching up on Mosin Nagants!
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

martin08 wrote:
OLD OUTLAW wrote:Darn, I'm slowly catching up to you with certain ones! :D

Welcome aboard, Old Outlaw! Good to see that you migrated here.

Now, you'll need to start catching up on Mosin Nagants!
Matt, I wish I had known in 1961 and 1962 a lot about them. You may or may not remember a company called "Gambles."
At that time pretty much a Nationwide Hardware store chain that sold a lot of Military firearms.
The first ones they sold were $15 each. I had to do the first on lay away as I was still in HS. Same with the second one.
They were true Finnish Rifles. In 1963 they were out of those and had the M44 rifles. They were sold as "Fin Cub"rifles.
But, believe from what I know now they were captured from Russia. Still $15 each. Every one was almost new.Very little use.
OHHH, but to have them now. I was allowed to pick right out of several crates as the manager was a family friend.
I think I had sold all by about 1970 or before. Ahhh,if we could all go back in time.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

We all got our "wish we had" lists, mine is about twenty pages long and growing.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:We all got our "wish we had" lists, mine is about twenty pages long and growing.
Unfortunately for my bank account, my list keeps going down. So does that darned bank account. :)
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

AoxoMoxoA wrote:
53 SKS's... Yikes!
You caught that also :D
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nothing wrong with having lots of your favorite type of gun, I got nine Garands and people used to talk about me, now I can point to Martin's 53 ( and growing) collection of SKS's :cool: to distract attention from exactly how many 91/30's I bought back when I had the C&R going . Nope, having lots of one gun type is perfectly normal behavior, and to be commended :clap:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

I have an M59-66 SKS and it only takes a little longer to disassemble and clean so I do it every time. After a couple of times it gets easier,and fun for me.Good luck, :D JGC
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I was shooting the SAFN49 every day for a couple of months when I scored a load of Egyptian 8mm, had a blast, I got real good with taking that weapon down for cleaning.
Theodore Roosevelt
singlestack2974

Post by singlestack2974 »

I guess this is an exception to the rule Yugo SKSs aren't accurate. LOL! This is an 85 yard target shot with my Yugo. Of course I cheated a bit and used a set of tech sights. But it shows the Yugo has potential right?

In LFS, MWAB.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.