Illinois resident needs gunshop search location ideas!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jungleking

Illinois resident needs gunshop search location ideas!

Post by jungleking »

Okay, so I recently began my search for my first mosin, which also brought me to this site. Came across the idea while surfing different gun sites and youtube. Also, the wife told me that I can't spend too much so why not knock out two birds with one stone...become a gun owner and start my historical military weapons collection all at the same time, Score! I am a recent graduate with a History degree and the classes I took were mainly on military history so this is what got me hooked.

So to start out, I live in probably the worst state to try and own a gun, Illinois. Location - O'Fallon, about 20 miles east of St .Louis, Mo.

I am trying to narrow down my search to some shops that people know have a good selection, reasonable prices and if in Missouri, would be willing to sell a gun to an Illinois Resident. I was hoping no more than a 50-60 mile drive from where I live because I would have to then go back the next day to pick it up thanks to the wait period.

Also, as I will naturally be spending every waking minute trying to soak up the threads here, but any pointers about what to look for or any bits of info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
zeebill

Re: Illinois resident needs gunshop search location ideas!

Post by zeebill »

You aren't going to like my first suggestion! MOVE! Why anyone would want to put up with the northern section of your state beating up the rest of it is beyond me? Even OB moved out does that tell you anything? Seriously I would not consider Illinois a good place to live even if I have friends living there. If you are married as you say you are you are more than likely in for a tough fight getting the wife to move away from family and friends so good luck! I apologise for welcoming you this way but I am too the point in life I tend to be very hard on people living somewhere that is anti-gun and so restrictive and controlling in nature. Plus the fact that more than half of your legislators seem to end up in jail is not a great selling point for the state to begin with. So like I am saying Move out! Sorry there is nothing constructive here and I apologize for that. Bill :oops:
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

jungleking wrote:Okay, so I recently began my search for my first mosin, which also brought me to this site. Came across the idea while surfing different gun sites and youtube. Also, the wife told me that I can't spend too much so why not knock out two birds with one stone...become a gun owner and start my historical military weapons collection all at the same time, Score! I am a recent graduate with a History degree and the classes I took were mainly on military history so this is what got me hooked.

So to start out, I live in probably the worst state to try and own a gun, Illinois. Location - O'Fallon, about 20 miles east of St .Louis, Mo.

I am trying to narrow down my search to some shops that people know have a good selection, reasonable prices and if in Missouri, would be willing to sell a gun to an Illinois Resident. I was hoping no more than a 50-60 mile drive from where I live because I would have to then go back the next day to pick it up thanks to the wait period.

Also, as I will naturally be spending every waking minute trying to soak up the threads here, but any pointers about what to look for or any bits of info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum. You might try this. http://gun-deals.com/fflfinder.php It's an FFL locator and they usually sell firearms too. You'll have to do some calling to see if they carry Mosin Nagants. RGuns http://www.rguns.net/rifles/rifles-bolt.shtml is up in Carpentersville and they only have the PU Snipers but they're the real deal and worth the ride. You can look here too to get an idea what's on the market. http://gun-deals.com/index.php?dealtype ... 4&subcat=5
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

I'm in Illinois, send me a personal message with your questions. I am south of Chicago, but I have friends in th St. Louis area. I can help if you are patient.
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

RGUNS is out right now and is north of Chicago.
jungleking

Post by jungleking »

Chicago is a bit out of my reach at the moment. was kinda looking around the St, Louis area, going north as far as springfield, and then east on interstate 64 as far as Mt. Vernon. Thanks though! trying to stay away from online places as the FFL transfer fees at a few places in the O'Fallon/Belleville area are astronomical
Mike

Post by Mike »

I've bought most of my Mosins from this place: http://midamericaarms.com/ they sell to a lot of out of state people so it's worth calling them to see if they'll sell to you. Also check that they have some in stock, last time I went in they were down to three, they usually have a full crate on the floor though.

This place is right across the street from Mid America: http://stlouisgunloans.com/ they usually have one or two Mosins in, I bought a Polish M44 from them for $175 not too long ago. Again, call them first to see that they will sell to you.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Celt

Post by Celt »

Welcome! I live in Chillicothe Illinois. They are around. Check armslist.com. Don't move. We need all the Gun owners we can get to turn some of :thumbsup: these laws turned around...move..really that's your input? Like i said, seek and yee shall find! Welcome to the forum!
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

Celt wrote:Welcome! I live in Chillicothe Illinois. They are around. Check armslist.com. Don't move. We need all the Gun owners we can get to turn some of :thumbsup: these laws turned around...move..really that's your input? Like i said, seek and yee shall find! Welcome to the forum!
Your from Chillicothe? I used to shoot with my dad out their at the sportsman's club when I was young. I grew up in Washington, but spent my first 4 years living on Mossville Rd.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Yup, we live in pinewood park. My son goes to Mossivile. Its part of the reason we picked this area.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Celt

Post by Celt »

P.s. LOTS of guns and hunting out here. We don't pay much attention to what they say in Democago. :thumbsup:
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I live just south of St. Louis. There are several shops in the area that usually have some Mosin's on hand but I'm sure they won't sell to an out-of-state residents. Any inter-state transfers would have to be through an FFL on your end. If you had your C&R license, I'd just send you one, lol...
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

In states bordering Illinois, Illinois residents can buy firearms in them. They still have to show a FOID card and wait the Illinois waiting period though (24 hours on a Mosin). I have bought out of state before in Indiana.
jungleking

Post by jungleking »

that's what i thought. I have been trying to learn the laws so I don't get into trouble.

you all have been very helpful so far, thank you! I am always open to more places to go search.
bubba52

Post by bubba52 »

if you are east of St Louis try Dunham sports in Mount Vernon. the have 91/30's on sale this week for $89.99
jungleking

Post by jungleking »

really? That is pretty much the price I was hoping for, but i wish my work schedule allowed such a trip. when would they be doing a sale like that again? what is their non discounted price?
bubba52

Post by bubba52 »

The ad they have now is good till 11/29 and it has been the cheapest in several months. The usually have them off and on for $99 and I think
they are about $140 not on sale. I bought mine at MC Sports about a year ago for $84.95.
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

zeebill wrote:You aren't going to like my first suggestion! MOVE! Why anyone would want to put up with the northern section of your state beating up the rest of it is beyond me? Even OB moved out does that tell you anything? Seriously I would not consider Illinois a good place to live even if I have friends living there. If you are married as you say you are you are more than likely in for a tough fight getting the wife to move away from family and friends so good luck! I apologise for welcoming you this way but I am too the point in life I tend to be very hard on people living somewhere that is anti-gun and so restrictive and controlling in nature. Plus the fact that more than half of your legislators seem to end up in jail is not a great selling point for the state to begin with. So like I am saying Move out! Sorry there is nothing constructive here and I apologize for that. Bill :oops:
I'm curious, do you live in Illinois? I hear a lot from out of state people about how bad Illinois is, but let me give you some stats. I live 30 miles north of Chicago. I obtained an FFL 03 with no problem. This fall, within an hour drive, there were gun shows 8/25, 9/16, 9/23, 10/14, 10/28, 11/18, 11/25, and 12/16 and 12/23 coming up. There are several ranges within a one hour drive, including two that have indoor rifle tubes. There are numerous gunshops. I can buy all the guns and ammo I want with no problems, and shoot as much as I want. You people all confuse the City of chicago with a whole state.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

redeuce wrote:
zeebill wrote:You aren't going to like my first suggestion! MOVE! Why anyone would want to put up with the northern section of your state beating up the rest of it is beyond me? Even OB moved out does that tell you anything? Seriously I would not consider Illinois a good place to live even if I have friends living there. If you are married as you say you are you are more than likely in for a tough fight getting the wife to move away from family and friends so good luck! I apologise for welcoming you this way but I am too the point in life I tend to be very hard on people living somewhere that is anti-gun and so restrictive and controlling in nature. Plus the fact that more than half of your legislators seem to end up in jail is not a great selling point for the state to begin with. So like I am saying Move out! Sorry there is nothing constructive here and I apologize for that. Bill :oops:
I'm curious, do you live in Illinois? I hear a lot from out of state people about how bad Illinois is, but let me give you some stats. I live 30 miles north of Chicago. I obtained an FFL 03 with no problem. This fall, within an hour drive, there were gun shows 8/25, 9/16, 9/23, 10/14, 10/28, 11/18, 11/25, and 12/16 and 12/23 coming up. There are several ranges within a one hour drive, including two that have indoor rifle tubes. There are numerous gunshops. I can buy all the guns and ammo I want with no problems, and shoot as much as I want. You people all confuse the City of chicago with a whole state.

The requirement that you have to have a FOID card and live in the only state that has no concealed carry AT ALL would be the basis for that statement I would believe...