Deed Already Done- M28 Ski Trooper

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
martin08

Deed Already Done- M28 Ski Trooper

Post by martin08 »

A friend and fellow collector contacted me over the weekend and asked if I could help him out. He was jonesing for an M-1 carbine that he saw, and didn't have the necessary cash flow to land the deal.

"Want my M28 Ski Trooper?" he asked.

"Duh!!!!" I said.

I had seen pictures of the gun before, and knew it had an issue. But for $300.00, I didn't know when I was ever going to be close in proximity of another double rear sling slot Mosin again, so we picked a neutral parking lot and each drove twenty miles to meet. Besides, it was a beautiful Sunday morning to chat with a fellow collector after Church. We swapped a gun for money, and a whole bunch of stories.

Looks good so far....

But the final pics will tell the tale. The stock, which would be the major attraction of the gun, has been aggressively sanded down and refinished - feels like a multi-coat BLO, but I haven't tried to strip it. The deed has already been done, so why try to save it. As you can see, the grasping grooves are well rounded, and the metal stands quite proudly over the diminished size of the furniture.

But it is an M28, and the metal is great. It is my only Ski Trooper. And my buddy made his deal on his M-1 Carbine. So, enjoy and thanks for looking.

No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
desdem12

Re: Deed Already Done- M28 Ski Trooper

Post by desdem12 »

Beauty for sure...A more than fair trade if you ask me $300 is a good price. To bad about the refinishing. You should take it out and use the hell out o it an try to bring back the "used" Look. VERY SWEET :clap: :clap: :clap: :toast:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

That is a shame about the stock. Looks pretty nice, though.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Well worth what you paid for it despite the stock, at least it isn't poly on there. Like you said, when will you ever see another at that price, and you can meet to look it over before paying. I used to sometimes do transactions like that, but not around here anymore. To many idiots with cell phones who see two men exchanging money for a box in some back corner of a parking lot, and right away think you are buying and or selling drugs
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Hlavinka

Post by Hlavinka »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Well worth what you paid for it despite the stock, at least it isn't poly on there.
+1
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Nice. It's not often you get to run across one of those especially at that price. :D :D
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

It's a nice rifle. Too bad someone destroyed the collector value with the refinish, but it could be "restored a little to look "right".

Someone should have their hand cut off for doing that.

Dolk
martin08

Post by martin08 »

I'll keep admiring it from a distance. :D
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Those rifles just ooze "white death". Think of the ambushes that rifle partook of on the Russians. You just don't pass up a deal like that, sanded or not! Good Grab!
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Damn, that stock has been sanded to hell and back!

Still though, a rare bird. Nice find!
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I would have found a home for it also. :wink:

Still, it is a nice rifle.

Dolk
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Our bubba boy must have gotten a new sander for his birthday! :big shock:

"Step away from the tools before you sand the stock down to a toothpick"... He sure took a lot off. :no:

But it looks great otherwise. Good find. 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Noble Sniper

Post by Noble Sniper »

Great find glad you got it..... its a beauty ;)
•"Was there ever a people whose leaders were as truly their enemies as this one?"
- Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls

"....from my cold dead hands:
President Charleton Heston

"Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !! "
Dr. Strangelove
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Very unique. I have read about these but this is the first I have seen. Sanded or not it's cool.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!