Think I found The God Of All Cleaners

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
howitzer

Think I found The God Of All Cleaners

Post by howitzer »

Hey guys,

So today was the first day I ever cleaned my mosin...I've never shot it...its been sitting on the wall since I was born...so about 20 years...and I finally bought ammo for it..first thing I knew I had to do was clean the barrel. I don't have any gun cleaner and I knew boiling water wouldnt do much so I used this boat hull cleaner called "supertuff"

Don't smell it...it will burn your nose and eat your skin. I put a plug on the end of my barrel and filled it up with diluted super tough. Within 10 seconds it started to release gases which I don't think it good what so ever...then I flushed it out for a good 5 minutes with hot then cold water. I looked inside the barrel with a flash light...no damage and the inside was bright silver....no more grainy gummed up barrel. Now I just need to get a gun oil to coat it with and I should be good to go.

does anyone else use these kind of chemicals to clean their guns? I just figured it's only metal and aslong as i can protect it from rusting when im done...it should be bulletproof
desdem12

Re: Think I found The God Of All Cleaners

Post by desdem12 »

:beek: :beek: :shock: Not knowing what is in it i would not do it myself. I use the boiling water and hoppes,oil and shooting and repeat and it works good for me. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Bubbling + release gasses = not good (usually)

Sounds like it might have been an acidic solution?

Glad you stopped it when you did.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
pacolo90

Post by pacolo90 »

There's lots of good videos on YouTube that can show you the chemicals and techniques you can use to clean your mosin, or you can just search the forum too. I personally like using windex, hoppes, to clean and then CorrosionX to lubricate and preserve
"If guns were banned, I'd sure think twice before using one to commit a crime, said no criminal, ever" - unknown
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

I'd go out and buy a big bottle of Hoppes #9, and never use that boat hull cleaner ever again.
howitzer

Post by howitzer »

i shall be going out tomorrow and getting that hopped stuff hah. i just couldnt think of why it would hurt the metal if it doesnt even bother plastic and fiber glass
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It sounds like it would be brutal if it got on the stock.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Released bubbles and gases? That doesn't sound good! :b sad: You use whatever cleaner you want but stay away from that hull cleaner I would say! I use boiling water in my tea but I use just about everything else (other than hull cleaner?) as a bore cleaner. Hoppes works fine, Sweets 7.62 works fine if you follow the directions, Kroil Oil works fine, CLP works OK, and I use Balistol (99% mineral oil) to keep the bore from rusting. Over the years I have used just about every bore cleaner I ever heard of because I could get it free for work and as a tribologist I came to the following conclusions. KISS keep it simple stupid! Simple straight forward products of the hydro carbon nature work great and for the most part cost less than exotic unnecessary expensive ones that may promise the world and do little if any better than the plain old simple ones we used for years.

Find what you like and use it and remember there are many other ways to do the same thing you are doing so listen to others and make your own decisions that work for you and cause no damage. I don't think Hull Cleaner is on that list!!!! :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: The older I get the more I learn I guess :D Bill
zx9crazy

Post by zx9crazy »

7 replies and not one of you remembered to beg for pictures of the Mosin that was hanging on his wall for 20 years.
I think you guys are slipping!
I personally would like to hear the story on this rifle.
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

Inquiring minds want :post_r: :welcome2:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Cleaning rule #1: If it burns out your nose hair, it may ruin the gun's finish, or worse.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
husker51

Post by husker51 »

:welcome: Glad you're here to get pointers. I dont use milsurp ammo so I clean my rifles as I would clean any rifle that I own. Bore solvent and gun oil. Brushes and cloth patches. My mosins look and operate normally. The rifling looks better as I shoot them and then clean them. If you use milsurp ammo, I would follow the recommendations of these fellows that have that experience. Oh! And BTW, :dont: :D
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

:D Welcome to the forum :D
Rule 1: In case of introducing a rifle of Mosin Nagant Type, pictures are a necessity.
Rule 2: The top of the forum contains a thread about cleaning our "ladies", which needs to be read.
Rule 3: There are no stupid questions, only dumb answers; which you should not find here, actually, ever.
......other than that, the guys here are very knowledgeable like in "knowing their stuff"

The God of all guncleaners may have tempted you, but , seems, did not win you over on his side.... :chuckles: :big shock:

When I read bubbles and fumes , I got a shiver :big shock: and tried to get my chemistry together. And my knows about outside treating of surf-boards......you must have an acidic cleaner there, which will have no impact on the surfaces you mentioned, but certainly on any kind of metal thus also on chromium (Mosin barrels are chromium plated). I would say you gave that barrel a shock treatment , stopped it at the right moment, ran enough water through to stop the chemical reaction.

Now you are a happy camper with a clean barrel (nearly as new) with a slightly lighter chromium lining, needing oil (you could have already taken some light motor oil) and shooting and

pictures and the rest of the 30 year story :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I wonder if this "cleaner" reacted with leftover cosmo or old preservative?
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

howitzer

Post by howitzer »

im thinking the only reason it was releasing chemical gases was because of the gummed up crap that was inside the barrel...i use this stuff on plastic....rubber shoes....basicly everything...and it never messed anything up. but just to be safe...im going to start using what you guys advise me to use.

my gun doesnt have chromium on it i dont think...all the metal parts are black...and when some of this cleaner leaked onto the metal....it turned it bright silver...the color it should be...sounds terrible i know hah.

PICTURES WILL BE UP TOMORROW.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

If it's the stuff made by Davies or Trimaco it's basically a heavy duty concentrated degreaser and one is biodegradable. Trimaco says don't let dry on glass. I imagine that's because it may have something that might ectch the glass and that might be what caused the bubbling and smell. I'm not sure. I'll stick to gun cleaning solvents and brushes for now.

Trimaco SuperTuff:
Trimaco SuperTuff™ Cleaner & Degreaser is a non-butyl, low-odor formula designed to quickly and easily remove dirt, grease and grime from painted walls, stainless steel, carpet, tile and more. Always test cleaners on an inconspicuous area before use.
Features & Benefits:
•Quickly removes grease and grime
•Non-butyl formula
•Low odor
•Use on painted walls, stainless, steel, carpets, tile and more

•32 ounce spray bottle

Hold bottle 6-8 inches from area to be cleaned. Spray product onto contaminated area and allow product to penetrate surface for 10-15 seconds and then wipe area with a wet cloth or damp sponge. DO NOT use on glass.
Keep out of reach of children. Ensure adequate ventilation if used in confined areas. DO NOT allow to dry on glass, ceramic tile or bare metals. Remove at once to prevent streaking. If streaks appear, gently rub with a wet steel wool pad. Contains alkaline material. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Use goggles, gloves and protective clothing. Protect from freezing.

Davies Super-Tuff:
Amazing all purpose cleaner degreaser. Cleaner of 1000 uses. Environmentally safe. Non toxic, biodegradable. Blasts off dirt, grease, oil, mildew, blood stains, rust, wax, soap scum, black scuff marks, carpet stains and more. This product should be used with care. Use full strength on those really “Tuff” jobs. Refer to product label for proper application and dilution rates. NO bleach, acid, or phosphates.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

howitzer wrote:im thinking the only reason it was releasing chemical gases was because of the gummed up crap that was inside the barrel...i use this stuff on plastic....rubber shoes....basicly everything...and it never messed anything up. but just to be safe...im going to start using what you guys advise me to use.

my gun doesnt have chromium on it i dont think...all the metal parts are black...and when some of this cleaner leaked onto the metal....it turned it bright silver...the color it should be...sounds terrible i know hah.

I might be wrong here but that black color is the blued finish the rifle is supposed to have and it's now stripped to bare metal and unprotected. I guess the pictures will show us.
pacolo90

Post by pacolo90 »

WeldonHunter wrote:
howitzer wrote:im thinking the only reason it was releasing chemical gases was because of the gummed up crap that was inside the barrel...i use this stuff on plastic....rubber shoes....basicly everything...and it never messed anything up. but just to be safe...im going to start using what you guys advise me to use.

I might be wrong here but that black color is the blued finish the rifle is supposed to have and it's now stripped to bare metal and unprotected. I guess the pictures will show us.
I agree :thumbsup:
"If guns were banned, I'd sure think twice before using one to commit a crime, said no criminal, ever" - unknown
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

howitzer wrote:i shall be going out tomorrow and getting that hopped stuff hah. i just couldnt think of why it would hurt the metal if it doesnt even bother plastic and fiber glass

You have hydrocholic acid in your stomach, it's what breaks down your food but if you put metal in it it would disolve it. Some acids are stored in plastic bottles but will destroy metal. I have a bore cleaner called Shooters Choice MC #7 that says DO NOT transfer from the glass container it's in to any plastic bottles besides one they recommend because it'll only be contained by certain types of plastic. Lye in the right concentration for instance will disolve aluminium. You have to be real careful what you use on firearms or you'll destroy them.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Howitzer you are right there is no chromium in or on your gun nor in the bore either. The outside treatment is a bluing process to protect the metal from rusting and corrosion. There is a bit of blue in the barrel right out of the manufacturing process but after a bit of shooting and cleaning that fro the most part is gone, hence we oil the bore to protect it. I can't post pictures and the guys endlessly ride me so you will get none of that from me. I do however enjoy looking at some of the fine ones they post! So I guess you being more mopdern than me will have to learn how to post them. There are many great people here who will teach you how and also there are threads telling you how also. Thanks for sharing your new rifle with us when you get into details via pictures or verbally. Welcome aboard! Bill :wink: